67-69 Center Console with Clock Mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 10:07 AM
Default 67-69 Center Console with Clock Mount

I have a center console with a clock installed, need help. Clock is dated 1967, and is installed in the pot metal mount with casting number below

This is mounted in a 68-69 Center Console between seats. My issue is the clock will run and keep good time until I mount it in the Console, it then still runs but the minute hand and hour hand will stop, but the second hand will keep moving as it should.

This is a recent quartz conversion, and as I mentioned it keeps perfect time on the bench until mounted in the Console.

With the casting number listed above and the clock dated 1967, is this the correct mounting unit? It appears that the Clock does not seat correctly into the pot metal bezel, and I am wondering if this is the problem.

Sure hope some one here can help me out, this thing is driving me insane.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions, or answers.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:27 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

do you have any pictures of the clock and mount? im trying to see the problem in my head but some pics would help. is the way the clock positioned on the bench any different that the way its mounted in the console? i have a clock for a camaro console, and im trying to remember how it mounts without digging through boxes to find it. so the second still ticks but the minute and hour hand dont move in the console? something is binding the hands so that they dont move. i cant think why though. this is just typical old car clocks they never work in the cars. i have a tic-toc-tac in my 68 and the clock never works. the clock in my grandparents 55 chevy works sparadically when ever it wants to.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:56 PM

Camaroboy68ss

Sure do appreciate the reply. I'm not to familiar with the posting of pics here on this forum, also currently do not have any pics at the moment.
The Clock and the Mount are right here on my bench and the clock does mount in the console the same way as it does on the bench.
There is a tab at the 12 o'clock & another at 6 o'clock, and it faces up at about a 60 degree angle.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:27 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

man i sure dont know why that it would stop telling time in the car. i have had my tic-toc-tac to work for a short period of time but it doesnt work right anymore. the tach though still reads perfect. im stumped il talk to some local people i know and maybe brainstorm up some sort of possible problem

Last edited by camaroboy68ss; 04-22-2011 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:25 PM

Camaroboy68ss

I have been trying to post the pics of the clock & mount on here for over an hour and am getting no results.

I'm not sure what it is I am doing wrong, but nothing seems to work.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:42 PM

Well gave it another try and got 4 pics of the Clock & Mount in my album

Old 04-23-2011, 03:29 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

The one difference between bench testing the clock and having it in the car, is how it's wired.
Are you sure the car's wiring is giving it a good ground? And the supply wire is at a full 12 volts?

Old 04-23-2011, 06:24 PM

Camaro 69

Thanks for the reply. As for the answer to your reply the clock is getting 12 volts, and the ground seems good, as the second hand is turning but the minute hand along with the hour hand come to a stop.

There is plenty of clearance between both hands. Also I have the mounting plate here on my bench and with the clock mounted it rund for awhile then same thing happens.

I am wondering if the lens is to thick and is pushing down on the clock when mounted in the plate. The lens has a couple of notches in it and they are moulded that way, but am wondering if its the right lens for the clock.

You wouldn't happen to lnow the thickness of the lens by chance?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Don't know the thickness. So the clock (as we see it in the picture) will keep time, or are you taking it apart? And the two hands won't stop until you mount the clock to the plate? Does it feel like it takes some force to get the clock scrwede down to the console plate? Something may be tweaking and binding from some force being put on the body or face of the clock.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:27 AM

67-69 Center Console with Clock Mount-1967-dated-camaro-clock-1.jpg

67-69 Center Console with Clock Mount-69-camaro-console-clock-mount-1.jpg

67-69 Center Console with Clock Mount-69-camaro-console-clock-mount-2.jpg
When the clock itself is totally assembled it keeps perfect time. When it is mounted into the plate it runs for a little then the minute hand & hour hand stop, the second hand keeps moving as normal.

As for puting pressure on screwing it to the mounting plate, well its not that much, almost feels like normal. then I'm thinking the lens is a little to thick therefore puting pressure on the movement. But its not stoping the second hand, and its closest to the lens.

There is some thing that is in the mounting that is as you mentioned tweaked or applying pressure.

Last edited by Lone Wolf; 04-24-2011 at 07:29 AM. Reason: forgot to add 1 more pic

Quick Reply: 67-69 Center Console with Clock Mount