396 normal operating temp

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 10:08 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 396 normal operating temp

Hello, just got myself 68 camaro with 396 big block. took her for a short ride for the first time and saw the sunpro gauage showing temp in the middle between 210-280. pretty much stay the same going 10-20 mph in the first/second gear.
when i came home, i noticed a bit of condensation on the hood. when i open it, i noticed steam coming out of the opening from the radiator cap.

From what I've read so far, the normal temp should be below 210...any opinions appreciated.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes

stupid of me. radiator was pretty much empty.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Keep an eye on the coolant level to make sure you don't have any engine issues (intake gasket, head gasket, cracked head, cracked cylinder wall) that could have caused the radiator to be low.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:39 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Keep an eye on the coolant level to make sure you don't have any engine issues (intake gasket, head gasket, cracked head, cracked cylinder wall) that could have caused the radiator to be low.
I had to put in 3 gals of dex-cool 50/50, and it still did not fill up (does it need to be filled up?). Went for a short drive, and the temperature stayed around 180-210 but did not get to 210, though stayed in 10-20mph for a couple of miles.

Not sure why the radiator was pretty much empty. I enquired about it to the dealer. not sure if they flushed it and forgot or intentionally kept it low for delivery.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:29 AM
jno
In the Staging Lanes

"Keep an eye on the coolant level to make sure you don't have any engine issues (intake gasket, head gasket, cracked head, cracked cylinder wall) that could have caused the radiator to be low"

Or vice a vera, driving with little to no coolant could have cause those things. (surprised it didn't)

Old 06-04-2012, 12:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by jno
"Keep an eye on the coolant level to make sure you don't have any engine issues (intake gasket, head gasket, cracked head, cracked cylinder wall) that could have caused the radiator to be low"

Or vice a vera, driving with little to no coolant could have cause those things. (surprised it didn't)
hopely not. is there a visual way to be sure no damage to the engine? i heard there should be a huge smoke coming out of tail pipes.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If your temp gauge wasn't maxed out then your probably ok. Just something you have to do on these cars. I check my radiator and oil levels often. Although it shouldn't have been that empty, but who knows why it was so empty. When I bought mine last year I had to add a lot to the radiator, but I know the guy that owned it before me just drove it and I'm pretty sure he never did anything to it besides change the oil.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Something else to keep in mind, since you took 3 gallons of coolant, your whole cooling system (engine and radiator) was pretty much empty. This means the reading you were getting on the gauge was false (the probe reads coolant heat, not air heat), and your engine was most likely much hotter than you thought it was. Plus coolant in the water jackets dissipates heat away from the cylinder walls. That won't happen with the block being empty, let's hope you're ok.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 06-04-2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I AM hoping it is ok. I could see some coolant at the bottom of the radiator. after putting in 3 gallons, I drove a couple of miles yesterday, and the temp stayed around 180 or so.
I was told all the fluids were changed. I should have checked at least the oil and radiator.. live and learn. Let's hope that the big block does not fail me...

Old 06-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

I always check all the fluids before taking a new car on the road, live and learn I guess. Now, if the radiator really was just changed and filled, you have issues. Don't wanna scare you, and hopefully it's for nothing, but just be cautious and watch the radiator level closely.

Quick Reply: 396 normal operating temp