1st gen update?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 05:01 AM
Default 1st gen update?

I know I'll get some heat for even asking this... but I've been looking around and can't seem to find anyone who has done a total update of the first gen camaro.
And what i mean by update is first add things like power steering, disk brakes, cruise control...etc. which has already been done, but also things like a DVD player in the dash, Fuel injected modern motor, 5-6 speed manual transmissions, power locks, remote start, more comfortable seats, etc.
This is what i plan on doing when i get my camaro (Just married looking for a project)

I know I'll never be able to show my face at a car show, But I was wanting to see pictures too see if anyone has been able to pull it off without killing the look of this car! I can imagine changing the interior like that would totally kill the vibe of this beast, but I'm certain i can do a classy job and make it look stock. I'm just curious if anyone knows of a success story?

Old 10-19-2011, 09:09 AM
December 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club

I had seen one like this that atlas muscle cars had sold, about everything you want to do. If i remember right it there is pics of it in their sold section. it was sweet looking just an old body on modern technology.

I would not have been a shamed of showing up at car shows in it, it showed talent, hard work and a lot of $$$ pumped into that car

Old 10-19-2011, 09:12 AM
December 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club

Oh and by the way, Welcome aboard and good luck on the hunt for the right car. took me 7 to 8 months to decide to buy. a lot of polished turds out there so always inspect them yourself.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:56 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

What you're talking about doing is called a "restomod", an old car restored with all the modern conveniences. I've seen them plenty of times at shows and cruises, and don't thumb my nose at them at all. Many people appreciate the effort that goes into a project like that, the car is built to be driven.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
the car is built to be driven.
exactly! if I'm going to drop all this money into restoring a car, I'm going to drive it. Granted i wont drive it to work every day cause we don't have car ports there, and i live in Arizona. the sun here is brutal to new paint jobs.

So assuming I can pull this off, and that 8 - 12 month time frame to purchase sounds about right, i want the 68 - 69 for the staggered rear suspension. between my dad, an almost retired engineer at Boeing, and my brother, a recent graduate of Cal Stat Poly in aeronautical engineering, and I... im not special... we should be able to custom fab most everything we need. I'm pretty novice at this, but I've never been so stoked on a vision I've had before. If you guys come across anything post some pictures in here! And if anyone in here has done it, tell me about the process.

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 PM
1st Gear Member

It sounds like tazinhawii. He is a member here. I personally saw his car this summer at a car show and you practically had to wait in line to see it. Check it out.

Here's a few pics of it.
Name:  tazinhawaii69camaro.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  tazinhawaiipic6.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  39.2 KB

Name:  tazinhawaiipic5.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  1.2 KB

Name:  tazinhawaiipic4.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  1.3 KB

Name:  tazinhawaiipic2-1.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  46.3 KB

Old 10-20-2011, 03:19 AM

thats a good looking car, and those seats are rad! I'll have to look him up. thats very similar to what i had in mind.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:24 AM
Old 10-20-2011, 05:37 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

The only way you **** camaro owners off is if you did this to a all original numbers matching car or a SS body that could be returned to original. If you start with non-rare car that does not have its original drive train then have a ball.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I really like the classic Camaro look with modern technology. Agreed that it would be a sin to swap an original drive train.

Quick Reply: 1st gen update?