1969 new buyer, PLEASE HELp :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 02:03 PM
Default 1969 new buyer, PLEASE HELp :)

ok, you experts. I'm calling on you for some honest help. Please be patient with my thread. reply: jseconds77@hotmail.com

After much looking into, I want a 69 Camaro. I cannot afford #s matching. However, I've seen dozens for sale at car shows and on ebay. Prices vary greatly. I have a family friend selling a 69 ss clone(350) for 16,000. It's cleaner than the 2005 car I currently drive.
On Ebay and in person, I've seen great LOOKING ones for 24 grand. Now, I know there's lots of intricate details: correct engine/tranny codes, etc. etc. I don't care about #'s matching, but a clean, well-painted, well-maintaned 69 is in order I prefer 427 motors(gotta go big block ] or 396. Now, a great looking car inside and out doesn't guarantee a well-running, well-oiled machine. Can someone assist me:
1. price variances
2. general info
3. experiences buying camaros
4. I have NO experience with fixing or restoring. Possible to drive it a lot without having to fix a lot?

I'm not joking when I say I would drive it a lot, it's a car! that's what it's meant for. I'll keep it garaged in severe winters. can't drive posi on snow I have NO KNOW-How with fixing and restoring.

thanks SO MUCH for your help.
jeff

Old 08-09-2007, 04:23 PM
1st Gear Member
Default RE: 1969 new buyer, PLEASE HELp :)

When you say that you have no experience or know-how to fix a car; THEN you should spend a little more up front and buy a car that is done right and doesn't need repair now.A few major repairs and the purchase price really goes up quick. When you find a car that you think is really nice, you need to take it to a trusted GOOD mechanic and have hime check it out before you buy it. Or take a mechanic with you and pay him to verify the condition and make sure that the tile is clear and matches the VIN on the car. Prices are really going to vary alot, depending on what the car is now and what it was originally. Clones or original don't really matter if you are happy with it. And the more you use it, the more wear and tear and repairs in the future. Big block cars do cost more and are more expensive to maintain and parts cost more, usually.......been-there-done-that

Old 08-09-2007, 04:26 PM
1st Gear Member

meant to say clear title not tile...a little typo

Old 08-10-2007, 08:06 AM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 427nikki

1. price variances
2. general info
3. experiences buying camaros
4. I have NO experience with fixing or restoring. Possible to drive it a lot without having to fix a lot?
1. Expect anything. I've seen cars go cheap, I've seen them go for well more then they should. I snagged my rolling chassis for 1500 years back. Now I see rollers going for 5-8K. I see nice Camaros going for less then 20K and up. There is a 69 that is a evil twin of mine rolling around a town up from me, 427, 4 speed, 9 inch rear gears body is perfect, interior is even better, white paint and no strips or decals, just like mine. It is a numbers matching car ecxept for the rearend swap of course. He turned down 70K last I talked to him. Why? It's just he loves the car.

2. In my opinion, and I'm not knocking any other Camaro, but it seems the 69 is one of the "holy grails" of muscle cars. Along with 67' Mustangs, or Hemi Cuda's, and other models, they have a way of making people take notice when they roll in. With that, the market for them is slanted to the supplier, not the buyer. The owner can throw a "for sale" sign in and ask a stupid number, eventually they get it it seems. With a BB car, expect to pay much more, even if it's not factory or even a clone.

3. See 1,2 and remember, decide what you want, before you shop. Color, interior styles, stuff like that. And as mentioned, take a mechanic or expert in Camaros with and REALLY look it over. This, for most people, is their third biggest investment in life. Don't just write a check without plenty of research.

4. Learn, because it's a old car, **** breaks. There is no way around it. If you buy a factory correct ride you'll spend good bucks on original parts when it breaks. If it's a clone, same thing but you have to deal with someone elses workmanship. If it's a custom, all bets are off, anything can and should be expected to eventually wear out. Remember, someone reengineered the car and that can be trial and error. Trust me, been there done that.

5. When you score a 69, welcome to the 69' family, pull up a chair, the first cold one's on me.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:55 AM

thanks for the information! seems like it's best to spend 20k now on a better maintained '69, than scrimp and pay 16 now, only to possibly have to make repairs later going over 20k. I should just face reality that no matter how nice a classic car is, it has lots of moving parts and driving it any distance causes wear; thus, I should learn some repair skills first. There's no rush in buying, I see dozens available.However, those Barrett-Jackson prices are absurd! and are a poor gauge on the market. why pay 100k when I see very similar ones in great shape for 60+? I don't get it.

Clones seem ok. Owners just do what chevy outsourced people to do. For instance, ZL1. Builders were paid an extra 160 per completed car. Basically, different suspension, badges, tranny, and the 427. Things that today's owners have done, and well. a clone sounds like a foul title; for instance, a reg. 350 camaro with an added 427 would be a 427 clone. but a classiccamaro still.

thanks!

Old 08-13-2007, 04:44 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 427nikki

Things that today's owners have done, and well. a clone sounds like a foul title; for instance, a reg. 350 camaro with an added 427 would be a 427 clone. but a classiccamaro still.

thanks!
No prob.

I think the term clone is thrown around a little to much these days. Every half hour nothing goes wrong TV show has the term stuck on what they are building.

Clone, as I define it, is a exact replica of a original. That means everything must be copied. Someone stuffing a big block where a smally was is just that, a biggy instead of a smally. Or a factory 350 with a 427...

I think we are on the same page, but I just wanted to throw that out there because over the weekend I was referenced as having a clone. I asked the guy "A clone of what?" and he couldn't answer.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:49 AM
HELP ME TOM CRUISE
Yaaarrrrrr

You will probably end up working on the car at some point anyways. Doesn't matter what experiance you have. Learn as you go. And you have a bunch of folks here who can walk you through most of it.

Old 02-16-2009, 05:38 AM

You can thank Mr Barrett Jackson as to why you are going to have to pay 20k plus for a car thats worth 5k or so. It is absolutely f***ing ridiculus to look at some of the prices people are asking for their rusted out pile of junk cars that are no more than a rolling builder. The average guy who makes average pay could not even consider going out and buying a 60's or 70's era muscle car anymore after that PATHETIC auction started showing on tv. Sure everyone that owns one is happy, I even own a 69 camaro however I am an average guy so I feel for those guys. If you want a nice car build it yourself or find someone you can trust to build it for you because without pulling the motor, tranny, rear end, wiring harness completely apart and inspecting it you have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER what kind of junk you are getting. Take my advice here as I learned the hard way. Nice paint on everything can really mislead even an experienced muscle car guy..........