1969 camaro headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 09:54 PM
Default 1969 camaro headers

I am converting a 1969 Camaro from auto to tremec 5 speed and having clearance problems with the z bar (inboard lever) . The z bar is mounted but the inboard lever on the zbar hits the top of the header collector at about the center where I cannot rotate the zbar to proper location. It appears the current headers run too close to the block causing the interference. My options are hydraulic clutch or a new set of headers that are designed for standard transmission. Has anyone "lived" this scenario and have feedback or suggestions? I have been told that hydraulics don't "feel" that good and have their own problems. I have found some hooker headers that say they are designed for factory zbar, ac cars and power or manual steering boxes which seems to cover all the bases from a clearance standpoint. They are very expensive especially the 304 stainless version. Any feedback is welcomed on options and header mfgs that have properly designed headers. I spent quite a bit on the tranny and conversion kit and hoped this would be a 3-4 weekend project but seems like it's taking longer and of course, more money.

thanks

Old 06-06-2016, 05:37 AM
4th Gear Member

It's called 'Snowball Affect'

Old 06-06-2016, 06:36 PM

LOL Everett, kind of like "when the fat lady sings". If you know anyone in your car groups that may have experience with header mfg and help me possibly with preventing more delays/frustrations it is much appreciated. Jegs seems to have a full line of headers with Hooker being the one that appears to address the clearance issues and even has some installation steps which is very helpful. I just don't want to buy new headers to find some other issue preventing completion of project. I am going to try and get all info regarding current header/head specs to hopefully get the correct headers the first time around. In reading some reviews some mfg seem to have QC issues where people have hade to return them, some multiple times.

thanks

Old 06-07-2016, 08:24 AM
4th Gear Member

Hooker, Stahl, & Jardine were the best when they were their own entities.
Now since all were bought out, QC has gone downhill along with application knowledge.
I'd stick with Hooker.

Old 06-07-2016, 07:47 PM

Thanks, a lot of questions but I haven't had the car that long and learning as I go. My car has edlebrock performer rpm 6073 heads (straight plugs) with what I think are called mid length or shorty headers, not the full length type. From what I have seen online it looks like the full length are the only ones I've located that will work with my set up and standard zbar. I'll keep looking, if anyone knows of the shorter versions that will work please let me know.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:06 AM
4th Gear Member

There's the dilemma - shorties/mid-length.
They exit over the Z-bar or close to it whereas full-length are designed for std trans.
OE design exhaust exit is rear outlet, I think, just before the Z-bar.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:30 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If you know someone local who is very good with SS welding, they could modify the problematic tubes before they meet the collector. If I had that problem I'm lucky in that I've got a guy who is 2 hours away, but his work is unbelievable and his prices very fair. He's done a lot fab work with mandrel bends, piecing together exhaust systems and turbo collectors.

There's a local guy here who has a '68 with a Tremec 5-speed and a built 400 SBC. If I bump into him at a cruise I'll ask him which header setup he has. But I know you probably want answers quick.

My car was born as a SBC V8-Automatic, now has a BBC 4-speed (BW Super T10). It has long tube headers, and even though the big block is actually mounted off-center to the passenger side, one tube on the driver's side is about 1/8" away from the top bolt on the steering box... and the header has a user-inflicted small dent LOL to allow that 1/8". I'm pretty sure the headers are Hooker, but I haven't seen the typical welded on tag (yet). I don't have a lift, haven't really crawled underneath the front. But with a small block and Hooker long tubes... I would think you'd be ok.

You could go over to Pro-Touring.com and ask there... but those guys seem to love automatics more than sticks. But there has to be someone with a similar setup/experience.

Mike