1968 Camaro. SS, Z28, or? Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated :)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 02:52 PM
Default 1968 Camaro. SS, Z28, or? Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated :)

Thank you for taking the time to read over my post! We actually just picked this car up yesterday. It was pad locked to the side of the barn in the back woods of Missouri. It is a fairly interesting car based on what I can tell and what I've pulled from the Cowl Tag but what has me puzzled are a few things. One, the previous owner knew very little about the car. It seems that he was not emotionally tied to the car and it just sat out next to his barn for quite some time. What I have gathered is that it is a four speed car, originally a red car with Deluxe interior. Now what I found to be intriguing is the fact that the Camaro has what appears to be its original 12 bolt rear end underneath it and it is a posi. Unfortunately though, I could not find any numbers on it. The Camaro also has Z28 emblems as well as a flat hood which I know were common for Z28s. What I'd like to find out is, what exactly do I have? I know that with out paperwork, it's anyone's guess but based on what you can see, what would be your best estimate? Does she have some rarity to her or is she just another plain Jane Camaro? Lastly, the bench seat within the car is not original but it does appear to be period correct and it does appear to be built to cater to a four/three speed shifter. I remember years ago seeing one and being told that they were pretty rare but how rare are they? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:06 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Without a paper trail, or a matching numbers engine, all you have to work off is a gut feeling. You don't have a way to know for sure one way or another. The rearend could have been swapped in over these 45 some odd years, just as easily as the seat could have been. The one thing that would be a given (without dispute) is that's it's a plain jane car. Model options above that, to make it stick, requires documentation.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:15 PM
1st Gear Member

Hey it's still an Gen 1 Camaro--Lots happens in 45 years --take mine for example --was a 6 cyl car now V8 has SS badges but Z28 stipes?? but i still LOVE her--my take is fix yours up the way you want and drive it!!

Last edited by Glenns-67SS; 07-16-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:39 PM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

do you have a picture of the backseat? the front seat is a first gen bench, and its a really rare one with headrests. though if its original to the car thats a big iff. because i dont remember if you could get a bench in 68 with a floor shift since they were phasing them out. if the 12 bolt is factory it could be anything from a ss to a z28 to a l30/m20 camaro (phatom ss) 68 trim tags are the most useless of the first gens. the assembled date would be correct for a 68 Z28 to have Z28 badges insead of 302 engine badges like the early 68 cars.

Old 07-15-2013, 10:06 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Here is what I can tell you by your trim tag:

1968 car
Built in the third week of july
Los angeles plant
coupe
Ivory/Black carpet, steering wheel, and instrument panel, custom bucket seats
Matador Red with Black stripes and Black vinyl top

If we had your vin we could tell if it was a v8 or six cylinder car

Old 07-15-2013, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Socom
Here is what I can tell you by your trim tag:

1968 car
Built in the third week of july
Los angeles plant
coupe
Ivory/Black carpet, steering wheel, and instrument panel, custom bucket seats
Matador Red with Black stripes and Black vinyl top

If we had your vin we could tell if it was a v8 or six cylinder car
Thank you! It is a V8 car but what I'm curious about is how did you determine the Black Stripes? Wouldn't that be specific to being an SS car? Also, how were you able to determine the black vinyl top? Isn't there a way to determine whether the 12 bolt belongs to this car?

Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 PM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If it is a true SS it would have the black stripe around the nose. I rechecked my work, and the R-R states it had matador red body and top color, it would have a number if it had vinyl or a convertible top. You can check the codes on the axle and see if it belongs to the car.

1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding

07= July, 1968, the month car was built.
C= Third week of the month.
12437= 2 door coupe body style.
LOS= Vehicle was assembled at the Los Angeles, California assembly plant.
47246= Unique body sequence number assigned at the assembly plant.
R = Matador Red lower body paint color.
R = Matador Red upper body color.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:53 PM

Thank you. Do you buy chance know what the code "M460" stands for in the upper right hand corner? Lastly, where exactly would I find the numbers on the rear end if you don't mind me asking?

Old 07-16-2013, 12:03 AM
June 2010 ROTM
Ride of the Year 2010
ROTM Winner's Club

use this site. its loaded with good info on where stuff is located and what the codes mean.

1967-69 Camaro Drivetrain Decoding

Old 07-16-2013, 12:06 AM
November 2010 ROTM
October 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I believe that is just the scheduling number used by the los angeles plant.

*EDIT* Lol I linked that site in my last post camaroboy, I guess OP missed it :P

Quick Reply: 1968 Camaro. SS, Z28, or? Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated :)