1967 Convertible LEAF SPRING REPLACEMENT

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 11:29 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1967 Convertible LEAF SPRING REPLACEMENT

My 67 convertible was rattling and shifting quite a bit at the rear, enough for me to see that all of the rubber in the original leaf springs had mostly crumbled away. Given that it's a 55 year old car, I purchased a new set of mono leaf springs and stock bushings. Since I am out of room in the garage I ordered a set springs, pads and bushings from NPD and then had the local shop replace them. I picked up the car this morning and noticed two things. The car feels sturdy and tracks nice and straight and the rear of the car is clearly sitting much higher than before, the space (gap) between the top of the wheel and the top of the trim around the edge of the wheel well is about 4". I realize that the car and the new parts need time to settle but, how much will it settle and or should I plan or getting shackles for the rear to drop the rear end so that it can be somewhat level?. I would have thought that a stock mono springs would put the car at stock height and I purposely avoided buying the kits that advertise the extra 2" drop. Seems I may have purchased the wrong kit?

thanks in advance

Old 10-08-2022, 06:49 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I just went out and measured from the ground to the lip of the wheelwell trim and it is 31", which is deffinitely too high. Now I am wondering if the leaf springs are the right ones?

Old 10-12-2022, 10:37 AM
1st Gear Member

Wait at least a year for the new springs to settle
Chances are you will still be a bit high for your liking
Shackles suck
I thing they only made one set of mono leaf springs
Conflicting info on 396 monoleaf springs
Maybe you got some of those
I have monos on a 68 I am working on getting
Planning on a 4 or 5 leaf swap

Old 10-12-2022, 08:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

well, I reached out to Eaton as they manufactured the springs. Of course they were unable to cross reference their part number with the one NPD carries. In either case the only other one they list has 2" less curvature than the ones I got. Two inches will not fix my crazy gasser wanna be look. My car does not have the "cocktail shakers" in the trunk which I guess makes it lighter. However, with me sitting on the edge of the trunk the car barely goes down in stance. I am a good 250 so cocktail shakers or not these springs are not the right ones. I will be putting back on the original ones, except use the new bushings. I am very surprised as everything I get from NPD is usually dead on, but not this time

Old 10-13-2022, 08:40 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

What tire size are you running? The original 75's? They would have been 26ish inchs tall. Since my car has a slightly upgraded motor we went with the multi leaf spring from a 68 to avoid the issues the Mono leaf had. But the below shows the difference tires make on the same car. With normal springs a spring show could get you within 1/8" of what you request, I have no idea if that can be done with mono leaf.

14" wheels

Attachment 14637

15" wheels
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...psjljfdnxf.jpg

Last edited by Gorn; 10-13-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-13-2022, 09:01 AM
In the Staging Lanes

P225 x 70 x R14

Old 10-13-2022, 11:02 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

How does it look compared to the 14" tire photo.

Last edited by Gorn; 10-13-2022 at 11:04 AM.
Old 10-15-2022, 10:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

here are the pictures of it on the driveway.
Taking it Tuesday to put back the old leaf springs with new bushings.
I loosened up the shackles and tried to bounce the car but the new shocks and springs did not make it easy to bounce it. Either case I tried for 10 min and while I did get some motion on the car (even by sitting on the bumper and edge of the trunk) it did not make any difference at all.

Old 10-16-2022, 10:20 AM
4th Gear Member

If there's a spring shop in your area you could have them re-arched.
Here's one in my area,maybe contact them? https://benzspring.com/

Old 10-16-2022, 10:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, most places are not that close and do not seem to be able to remove the springs, they will re-arch them but I still need the shop to do the R&R. My choices are 190 miles out or 60 (with traffic it might as well be Fresno) . So much for wanting to do things right and replace what I thought was an issue, shoulda stuck to replacing just the bushings and call it a day. Once I have this corrected I will consider one more thing and that is perhaps put a 75 series tire in the rear to fill the gap.

Quick Reply: 1967 Convertible LEAF SPRING REPLACEMENT