1967 Carb Help?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 11:11 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 1967 Carb Help?

Hello, does anyone have some advice on why my car would idle and drive fine but if I come to a stop and press the accelerator pedal it will either die or come very close to it. Carburetor vacuum issue? Bad carb fuel diaphragm? Maybe just a good cleaning? Wanted to check here before I do anything. It just falls flat on its face when I do this. Any ideas would be appreciated. Rob.

Old 07-20-2020, 05:36 AM
4th Gear Member

Well hey a local boy! I live up near Yacolt.
That could be a lot of different things but I'd suspect a bad accelerator pump or choke pull off maybe.
What carb do you have,Q-Jet?

Old 07-21-2020, 07:02 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Sorry for the slow response. On the top of the carb it says 2 jet Rochester. I'm assuming that it is a stock carb as I still have the original smog equipment installed. Haven't tried anything yet but I'll try the acc pump first and report back. Small world...do you know any of the Testers from Yacolt? Rob

Old 07-21-2020, 09:22 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RostaRob
Sorry for the slow response. On the top of the carb it says 2 jet Rochester. I'm assuming that it is a stock carb as I still have the original smog equipment installed. Haven't tried anything yet but I'll try the acc pump first and report back. Small world...do you know any of the Testers from Yacolt? Rob
That would be a Rochester 2 barrel carb,stock to the bone no doubt.
With the engine warm and running take the aircleaner off so you can see inside the throat of the carb,make sure the choke butterfly is open and then work the throttle to see if fuel sprays when you do it.If it does and the motor revs normal try it again without holding the choke open to check to see that the choke is not closing when you do it.
Rochesters are notorious for choke problems,if the choke closes when you hit the throttle it will fall on it's face.
I know Paul Tester and what are the kids names,Greg I think? Leeny (spelling?) the girl babysat for us when my boys were little.
Haven't seen any of them in a long time. My boys are grown,turning 33 and 35 next month,I'm an old fart turning 64 Oct 1st.
Maybe I can stop and take a look at it with you one of these days,I'd love to see your car and I drive through BG everyday on the way home from work.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:16 AM
1st Gear Member

That 2 brl would have a heat riser choke. FWIW my accelerator pumps failed not long after rebuilding the Rochester. Unless you are a "has to be stock" owner might want to consider swapping over to a more modern carb. I went with a Edelbrock 1406 and manifold. Made a HUGE performance difference and can just start the car & drive with the electric choke vs having to nurse the old Rochester

Old 07-22-2020, 11:38 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I to would recommend an upgrade. I am a big fan of the holley avenger, works good right out of the box . If I had to keep the old 2 barrel I would just get a rebuild kit and let the body soak for a few days in cleaner. The rebuild kits used to be like 10 dollars. If its not been rebuilt is the last 15 year it will have micro leaks and will never run smooth as it could.

Old 07-22-2020, 08:10 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SoCal67
That 2 brl would have a heat riser choke. FWIW my accelerator pumps failed not long after rebuilding the Rochester. Unless you are a "has to be stock" owner might want to consider swapping over to a more modern carb. I went with a Edelbrock 1406 and manifold. Made a HUGE performance difference and can just start the car & drive with the electric choke vs having to nurse the old Rochester
Originally Posted by Gorn
I to would recommend an upgrade. I am a big fan of the holley avenger, works good right out of the box . If I had to keep the old 2 barrel I would just get a rebuild kit and let the body soak for a few days in cleaner. The rebuild kits used to be like 10 dollars. If its not been rebuilt is the last 15 year it will have micro leaks and will never run smooth as it could.
I would tend to agree with these guys,much better options out there with a manifold swap.

Old 07-22-2020, 09:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Thank you all for the advice, I think I'm going to try a rebuild kit first and see how that works. They're only $30 or so, so it's an economical first step. I. Pretty sure it's the accelerator pump seal going bad. I heard the new ones from standard hygrade come with seals that are k with an ethanol blend. I'll report back when I get the rebuild done.

Last edited by RostaRob; 07-22-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:54 PM
In the Staging Lanes

So I think I got this figure out. I replaced the carb accelerator pump and reinstalled carb and it was squirting 100% better. Good streams coming out as opposed to weak and spurting. Now it accelerates from a stop great....but doesn't seem to idle very well????

Old 07-24-2020, 06:07 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Just a guess, but it sounds like a vacuum leak, Maybe something cracked going back together? Sometimes hose don't like to reseal after they get hard. .

Quick Reply: 1967 Carb Help?