1967 Camaro SS and 1967 Camaro RS

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:30 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by minex
I just finished reading that article. If the car is actually an L30/M20, wow, what a find! It would almost make me want to rip out the 396 and find a matching number 327...
Matching numbers mean you would have to find the motor that came out of the car that had your Vin number stamped on it. 1 in a million shot unless you know where or who it went too. I think the term you are looking for is Numbers correct. Meaning it could have been the correct motor. The correct casting and dates.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:55 AM

Red with white stripes on that 67 absolutely beautiful!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 12:11 AM

I think I own one of the 1967 L30 cars. Have owned the car since 1984. It has 327 300hp, factory saginaw 4 speed, all the wonderfull SS guages including the tach and the 4 speed console with the guages. I used to run into allot of guys who thought I stripped an SS and put all the stuff in my NON SS camaro but I didnt and Im very sure nobody was trying to CLONE a L30 Camaro in 1984 But who knows. THe car was my 1st car and I still own it so Im ahead of most. Good luck with your project, wish mine was an RS. Always loved the hide away headlights on the F Bodies.

If I think of it I will get a picture of MY firewall info tag and post it so maybe Gorn could decode it for me.

Old 10-03-2009, 01:54 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

screw the firewall post pitures of the car. lol. minex u too. how the project coming along?

Originally Posted by L Holmes
I think I own one of the 1967 L30 cars. Have owned the car since 1984. It has 327 300hp, factory saginaw 4 speed, all the wonderfull SS guages including the tach and the 4 speed console with the guages. I used to run into allot of guys who thought I stripped an SS and put all the stuff in my NON SS camaro but I didnt and Im very sure nobody was trying to CLONE a L30 Camaro in 1984 But who knows. THe car was my 1st car and I still own it so Im ahead of most. Good luck with your project, wish mine was an RS. Always loved the hide away headlights on the F Bodies.

If I think of it I will get a picture of MY firewall info tag and post it so maybe Gorn could decode it for me.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
screw the firewall post pitures of the car. lol. minex u too. how the project coming along?
Thanks for asking craby. For the past few weeks, I didn't want to do anything to the car until I got the heads back from the machinist. I have the entire front end of the car torn apart, which makes access to the engine much easier. Thus, I want to finish up the engine before I start putting the front together again.

I got the heads back on Thursday and have been putting the engine together since. The engine has essentially been overhauled at this point -- new push rods, cam, tougher valve seats, lifters, headers, etc.

I also replaced the intake with a shorter one. Not my first choice, but I like the SS hood and I want to be able to close it.

We finally got a chance to fire the engine up this morning and surprisingly, it started on the first try. We didn't have an air filter, any coolant, or the muffler attached at the time. We wanted to make sure the engine fired up before putting everything together.

Holy **** is that 396 loud without any mufflers attached. I swear, the residents in the next city probably heard the engine rumbling. Here's a photo of the front of the car at this point :

Name:  IMG_0666.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  145.7 KB

Also, I looked up the serial number of the engine. It apparently came from a 1969 Chevelle.

Old 10-03-2009, 07:44 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Oh, the weather was relatively nice today, so I finally had a chance to take my dads Camaro out for a spin. I took a quick photo of the front end of the car :

Name:  IMG_0661.jpg
Views: 734
Size:  135.5 KB

Last edited by minex; 10-03-2009 at 07:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:00 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

ya got me drooling now. big block yahhh.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Gorn
Matching numbers mean you would have to find the motor that came out of the car that had your Vin number stamped on it. 1 in a million shot unless you know where or who it went too. I think the term you are looking for is Numbers correct. Meaning it could have been the correct motor. The correct casting and dates.
I hope my post isn’t considered “hijacking” a thread, but I have the opportunity to purchase a 1967 RS/SS, and this thread seems like an appropriate way to ask a few question. The car belonged to my best friend, who passed away almost 2 years ago (he was 31). So what I know about the car is just from our BS’ing, I have not had a chance to look into the claims from him. Not that the claims are purposely false, just that I have not “certified” things.

Anyhow, it’s a 1967 that is claimed to be a “numbers matching” RS/SS with a 396 and auto. I believe there were two 396's, one with like 325 horse and the other with more, this is 325. The interior needs to be done and all parts and wiring are apparently there, but the wiring is not in the car, it's organized in bins. All the trim is also all there, just not on the body. From your post Gorn, it seems the block will have the VIN stamped on it? So, I guess it’s easy enough between the tag and the motor with the VIN to tell if it’s an RS/SS with the “numbers matching” motor. That’s great. With a "numbers correct" car, what do you mean by the motor having the correct casting and dates, yet not being the actual original motor?

Could you tell me what else, besides the motor, is a valuable part to have be original? What about the rear end and tranny? Is there any way to tell if they are original? What about body panels? I’m very curious about this because it’s claimed to be ALL original, including all body panels, which are in excellent condition.

Thank you in advance for any input. Sorry if I’m not providing all the necessary info, there’s a lot of research and information required for a project like this and frankly, forums like this are such a great place to start, so it's all new to me.

By the way, I know my username is pretentious but I couldn’t think of anything else at the time!

Old 07-10-2010, 04:37 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well, its almost been around nine months since I last posted to this thread. The Camaro project went on hold during the winter, but I've been busy the past couple months. The suspension on the rear and front have been completely redone. I also ended up rebuilding the carburetor. I also replaced the fan and fan shroud because the older one just wasn't cutting it. I did a ton of other things, too numerous to list on here. Anyway, I've spent the past couple of weeks getting the car ready to be delivered to the body shop to be painted.

Here it is on the trailer :

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  134.6 KB

Name:  10-4.jpg
Views: 713
Size:  191.8 KB

Name:  10-2.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  159.3 KB

Last edited by minex; 07-10-2010 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:38 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Hey minex!!! that was great!!! I am looking at your pics and it seems your project is rolling well. Hope to see more developments in the coming days. Good luck and cheers!!! Mabuhay from the Philippines

Quick Reply: 1967 Camaro SS and 1967 Camaro RS