1967 camaro rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 08:40 PM
Default 1967 camaro rebuild

hi all well ive been working on the body for a couple weeks now on and off slowly taking it down to bare metal i thought the body was good was i wrong i started at the rear were i could see some repair work it now has a new rear light panel i have not seen this much bog in my life the car has had five color jobs and in places 10 to 15mm of bog maybe more there is a bad repair on the right quarter panel and iam stuck on this who ever did this repair cut from the corner of the boot around to the door pilar and spot welded it with copper so were its meant to be curved is now square but what i didnt notice until putting rear panel in straight and no boot lid on and standing back is the right hand side along the rear glass erea has dropped 10mm from this repair well ive got a lot of cutting grinding to sort it out not looking forward to left quarter found some issues there too. this car must of been in a war or something found about 8 bullet holes just below the rear glass not a repair because when i pulled out the interior i found the slugs also a dozen empty 22cal cartridges anyway having fun dg

Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you...no pun intended. Those of us who have restored cars before can sympathize with you with one simple word.... SURPRISE!!!

Old 07-01-2011, 08:06 AM
2nd Gear member

Well, the slugs are an unexpected surprise :-) I tell ya, there are a lot of hacks out there doing body work. I worked for a professional body man when I was a teen (friend of the family) and he took his time and did things right. He took pride in his work. However, since he was a small shop and specialized in custom rods, he really couldn't support a full time assistant all the time, so I went to work for Earl Sheibe prepping cars... I was amazed as some of the things I saw their body man do. Honestly, he didn't care. It was all about getting the car out the door as quick as he could. Each job paid X dollars, and even cutting severe corners, it was hard for him to meet that time.

So, the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for"....

Old 07-03-2011, 08:18 PM

thanks for the replies dont get me wrong iam still happy with the car the way i look at it it takes no longer to do a good job than a bad one i dont get it any way taken paint's of doors now both are excellent lower seal great roof half way through some very light rust pitting under paint no issue.i was going to replace quarter panel but when they cut out the old panel they left about 2inch lip so going to try and use what i have.does anyone know if you can get por 15 in Australia if not what is the next best thing for inside panels.also guys nice cars

Old 07-13-2011, 03:15 AM

wow as i keep stripping back the paint i think this is a good panel and then surprise another well hidden repair have the car stripped back to about 80% now i will be glad when finished and start panel repairs decided to lead fill instead of bondo hate the stuff now not putting it back after the hassle to get it out cheers David

Old 07-13-2011, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by david g
wow as i keep stripping back the paint i think this is a good panel and then surprise another well hidden repair have the car stripped back to about 80% now i will be glad when finished and start panel repairs decided to lead fill instead of bondo hate the stuff now not putting it back after the hassle to get it out cheers David
Hey David, glad to hear you're going to keep a classic alive. We're doing a full restoration on a 1967 right now at work. It can be a rough process getting everything prepped, but just remember it's like a house with a poorly built foundation. Don't want to end up like this little guy lol good luck!

Old 07-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Sounds like you've got your hands full! Lots of surprises too, but stripping it all to metal is the right way to do it once you find one part thats done improperly. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!

Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 AM

I am glad you are going to keep going. It sounds like you have allot of work ahead of you but once it is done you will know what you have and I am sure it will be something to be proud of!

Old 07-15-2011, 03:16 AM

thanks for the reply's.yep its going to be allot of work but worth it . got bored with the stripping today decided to do a repair on one of the clean panels . got the panel pretty straight with dents of 1mm to 3mm and lead fill for the first time came out perfected using tinning butter and 60 40 filler rods very happy thought it was going to be allot harder than it was. taken allot of before and after pics if any one interested thanks David

Old 07-15-2011, 06:58 AM
December 2011 ROTM
Santas Little Helper
ROTM Winner's Club

Welcome aboard David and goodluck with your project. I too know how you feel about all the discovery that you go through when stripping a car down. Ours was more like a scavenger hunt as to how much rust and bad bondo repairs we could find. Would love to see some pics if you have any.

Quick Reply: 1967 camaro rebuild