1/2 full when empty?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 03:26 PM
December 2012 Ride of the Month
ROTM Winner's Club

Nope I tried just copied and pasted link and they said it would not take em there. I tried the link I pasted and same issue. I guess I could use the url button next time. I own and run 4 forums (SMF, PHBB ones) so I thought they all worked same.

Last edited by thefley; 01-25-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Well I think I am going to have to drop my fuel tank. I cant get at the ground wire and it has broken off too close to its connection on the sending unit for me to splice into it. Do I have to drop the tank all the way or will it come loose enough that i can just unstrap it enough to pull the connector off its peg? I've tried to get a pair of needle nose pliers up in there but it just wont budge.

Old 01-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Is the problem a bad ground, or is that still part of your diagnosing? If there's still a good metal to metal connection between the sending unit, the lock ring, and the tank, you could try attaching a ground wire on one of the folded up corners at the front of the tank. You'll otherwise need to lower the tank to reach the sending unit, but you won't have to drop it all the way off the car.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I couldnt be sure I was getting a good ground because I couldnt get to the sending unit ground connection...and it had been spliced twice..so I went ahead and just dropped the tank. Now it appears as though the connection is soldered on and the wire is split open right at a point where I cant attach a new splice. Would a new sending unit come with the same type of connection...permenent connection?

Old 01-29-2012, 04:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

If I hook the wire that is in the trunk going to the instrument guage and ground it the needle reads almost empty...about what I think I have in the tank as it sits on my garage floor. If I disconnect it it will read well past full...3:00 position. ??

Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

With the tank to gauge wire grounded, the gauge should read all the way empty. With the wire disconnected, the gauge should read all the way full. Is that what you're getting? The way you describe sounds like your gauge isn't going all the way to empty?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:18 PM
In the Staging Lanes

My gauge was not going all the way to empty. I have pulled the sending unit out of the tank. Is there a way I can test it while manually raising the float while attached to a ohm meter?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Can the units be bench tested as have read in other posts? No real explanation as to how to do it? I can position the tank underneath the car and hook the tan wire to the nub, bit of course no ground..I would have to use a test lead wire. Anyone able to provide instructions? Does the key need to be turned to acc?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:46 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Set your test meter to read ohms. Put the red meter terminal on the gauge wire stud on top of the sending unit, and the black terminal on the body of the sending unit. With the float all the way down (empty tank), you should have a reading of 0 ohms. With the float to the top (full tank) you should have a reading of 90 ohms. The meter ohm reading should climb or drop gradually as you move the float accordingly. To help you understand what you're doing, there is a wound wire coil and wiper (wiper arm type resistor) at the pivot point of the float arm that builds resistance as the arm raises. Basically, it gives a solid ground when down, and less of a portion of ground as it goes up. The frame ground wire at the sending unit connects through that wiper, and back out to the stud that the gauge wire connects to. In a roundabout way, the gauge wire at the sending unit is finding it's way to frame ground, either full or resistance ground depending on the float position. That's why when you ground the gauge wire directly to the frame (no resistance) the gauge should read beyond empty, and when you totally disconnect the gauge wire (no ground) the gauge should read beyond full.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 01-31-2012 at 11:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:36 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I get absolutley nothing on my meter when I do that which is puzzeling isnt it? It would move my needle on the gauge to past full when full and half full when empty. I guess I am just going to replace it and see it that is the answer once and for all. I've read in other places that a OER part...the company that produces the unit..has a bad reputation. Any input on that? I also heard that RockAuto was a good place to purchase. Thougts?

Quick Reply: 1/2 full when empty?