The "right" ignition system??

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Default The "right" ignition system??

I am in the process of doing my 69 Camaro and was wondering if anyone has stumbled across an article on choosing an ignition system. It is about the only major part I need for the engine but I have no clue as to where to start in choosing one. There are so many systems out there, they all do basically the same thing, make a spark. You would think an electronic engineer wouldn't have a problem with this, but I don't understand the mechanics behind the system.

I believe that it had an electronic GM distributor in it. I ran ok for Mom, but I am relatively sure that I will run it a little harder. Not going to the strip, but I wouldn't be afraid to jump on it while cruising town once or twice. Cops are going to love{hate}me.

Thanks,
Dale
www.myspace.com/drpotter_mi

Old 06-19-2007, 11:59 PM
Default RE: The "right" ignition system??

Is the motor built up or a mild setup? If its mild, then you could go with an HEI distributer and summit sells them for around $90. I like Hei because they are low maintenance and have decent performance. Just make sure you get 8mm wires and gap your spark plugs to .045.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:55 AM
In the Staging Lanes

HI DRPOTTER YOU CAN USE AN MSD 6AL BOX AND HOOK IT INTO THE HEI DISTRIBUTOR AN IT WILLTAKE CARE OF
YOUR IGNITIONI DO AGREE WITH 69 CAMAROADDICT WITH THE CHOICE OF 8MM WIRES EVEN 8.5MM ARE GOOD
AND TRY TO AN AFTER MARKET TYPE WIRE ECT(MSD,TAYLOR,MOROSO,ACCEL) AN LASTLY A GOOD SPARK PLUG
WILL MAKE ROUNDED OUT PACKAGE AND AGAIN 69CAMAROADDICT COMMENTS OF 0.45 GAP IS RIGHT ON YOU CAN
UP GRADE THE COIL IN A HEI BUT WITH MSD BOX THEY ARE FINE FOR THE STREET
THANKS FOR NOW HOPE THIS HELPS
STICKIT

Old 06-20-2007, 09:22 AM

I was looking at the 6AL box. I like the built in rev limiter. Sometimes I can't be trusted!! What recommendations do you guys have on plugs? Is one brand actually better than another?

69camaroaddict -- The motor is built up in my estimation, but probably not in some points of view. I am still trying to figure out exactly what I have. Brief summary, 202 camelback heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Edelbrock #1407 750 CFM carb, (not a 600 Holley like I thought), headers.

Here's another question, I would like to find out what kind of cam it has in it. Are there any marking on them that I can see, short of tearing the engine all the way down?

I appreciate all the feedback!!

Dale

Old 06-20-2007, 10:57 AM
In the Staging Lanes

HI AGAIN DRPOTTER TO TRY AND ANSWER ABOUT PLUGS I HAVE BEEN DRAG RACING FOR 36 YEARS AND I HAVE HAD JUST ABOUT
EVERY PLUG IN MY MOTORS THERE ARE LOTS BUT MY PERSONAL PICK IS ACCEL U GROVE PLUGS THEY STAN UP VERY WELL
IN MY MOTORS BOTH RACING AND MY TOW VEHICLE NOW THERE ARE OTHERS(AC,AUTOLITE,DENSO,CHAMPIONAND THE LIST GOES ON)
AS FOR THE CAMSHAFT IF IT'S AFTERMARKET IT SUPPOST HAVE NUMBERS ON THE BOTTOMTHOSE NUMBERS WILL TELL YOU WHOS CAM
AND WHAT GRIND IT IS SOMETIMES NOT BUT I WILL SAY IF YOU EVER BUY A NEW CAM ALWAYS KEEP THE CAM CARD WITH THE MOTOR
PUT IT IN THE GLOVE BOX
YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE THE CAM TO FIND THE NUMBERS
HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL
STICKIT

Old 06-20-2007, 11:31 AM
3rd Gear Member

I swear by MSD products. stock HEI is great for most street rats but the MSD stuff gives you the dependability you need in higher revving situations. the 6AL is nice because it does have the interchangable chips to change your rev limit

I always start with the low chip they give you (I think it is around 3500 RPM) to test the box and see if it's working properly. nothing worse then depending on it, andwhen the time comes youblow your engine because the box was defective from day one (this is a voice of experience on this one)

as far as plugs go, I always used AC Delco but I use their marine plugs instead. I just cross reference the normal ones I use with those. they hold up better, and stay a lot cleaner looking because the don't rust. makes one of those little appearance details under the hood that no one really can put a finger on when they are looking at it while you're at a show

Old 06-21-2007, 10:30 AM
1st Gear Member

MSD That is what I use 6AL box blaster 2 coil and MSD distributor and wires. Also the tack plugs in to the 6 AL box.

Old 09-15-2008, 01:18 AM

Hello all,
I hate to revive an old thread, I just need a little help. This is my first post. A 67 Camaro that my mother-in-law bought in 67, was just passed down to me. I'm pretty methodical about things and I was just putting together a list of things that need to be done to it to revive/restore the car. My intentions are to make the car as reliable as possible while appeasing my foot that's 1/2 lead. It's got an original 327 in it that has been rebuilt once. I'm gonna redo it, because I don't trust anything I haven't done myself. Anyhow, here's the list of things I plan to add.

Edelbrock Performer Plus Cam
Edelbrock Performer Air Gap Manifold
Edelbrock 600CFM Carb
Hooker Headers W/3" exhaust & Flowmaster 3 Chamber Muffs

I decided to forgo the RPM series only because it may be a bit much for the wife...IF she ever decides to drive it.

What's the best ignition set up to run with the stuff listed if reliability is a concern? There is just SOOO much stuff available from MSD and I just have no clue where to start. Can someone please help???