2010+ Wheels, Tires and Exterior

replacement tires 2012 2LT RS

Old 04-09-2015, 07:53 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default replacement tires 2012 2LT RS

Hello, all. This feels like it must be an oft-repeated question, but I can't find it, plus the info will be dynamic so needs to be recent.

The OEM Pirelli P-Zero tires are pretty well done and need replacing. The easy thing to do is to replace them! But several other brands are well-reviewed, cheaper, and perhaps longer-lasting (I'm under 30K km [Canada - car just out of Winter storage], which is less than 20K miles).

For example, there is a BF Goodrich g-Force Sport-Comp 2. I can get those locally for about $260 (CDN) each, front, and $300 rear. These are not asymmetric as are the OEM Pirellis.

Also, the rear size, 275/40ZR20, comes in Pirelli in several versions, one listing (here) at about $380 and one listing at $670 - quite a spread - with several other variations; some have no additional letters, some say "XL", some say " XL (B)", and some say "XL BL". I have been unsuccessful at finding what these mean. (It may have something to do with "load" but I'm not much further ahead.) Some also have additional information like "220-AA-A" under the UTQG column, explained at UTQG Ratings: What are they and how can they help a tire shopper? - All About Tires by AutoSquad, but some are blank in that column (not helpful!). They all have different SKUs. See Pirelli P-Zero.

(The front size is 245/45ZR20.)

I do not use the car to its potential, mainly driving it to work, and on local highways, and for fun I favour low-speed curvy roads over high speeds. I have spent one day on the track (wonderful!), and even there the teaching was mainly about cornering, not about speed on the straights. I foresee none of that changing.

Suggestions welcome.

Thank you.

Charles

Old 06-29-2015, 01:35 AM

I'm running the BFG on my car for daily driver purposes and i absolutely love it

Old 06-29-2015, 05:34 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Thanks, PBS. I"ve heard nothing but good things about those tires, and as of a few days ago, have a set on order.

It was hard to find the larger ones for the rear wheels - mostly out-of-stock - but there's some network around here and they're sending them back from some tire shop, several hours away, to the warehouse and then to a local shop.

There were Continentals in contention, but the reviews were much more mixed. And there's lots of good tires out there but not in the correct size combination.

Anyway, my OEM Pirellis are looking worse, although the rears are more worn than the fronts (must be the previous owner!), and the two sides different, and of course they can't be rotated in any way whatsoever. But they still hold the road amazingly, at least under the ... shall we say "moderate" ... driving style to which I expose them. I was on secondary roads in the rain yesterday for three hours, with no complaints. I've had them looked at by two tire salesman who said they can go a bit farther. Passersby routinely comment that they look worn. I ran that story by an ex-racer last Fall (at my track day) who just glanced at them, raised his eyebrows and gave a very eloquently clear just-replace-them sigh.

Thanks again.

Charles

Old 06-29-2015, 05:59 AM
4th Gear Member

Discount Tire store and Hankook's
Good prices and customer service for me.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:05 AM

Michelin gets my vote. Quite pricey but they have good grip and treadlife.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:12 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by peanutbuttersports
I'm running the BFG on my car for daily driver purposes and i absolutely love it
Thanks again, PB Sports. Have had the BF Goodrich g-Force Sport COMP-2 on for a day now, and preliminary observations are positive. It may be my imagination that the feel is slightly different, but like the original Pirelli P Zeroes, they have more stick than I need. That doesn't mean that they're as sticky. They are unidirectional but not asymmetric, so will report back if I have any issues in the wet (Summer-tire tread being only for water-dispersion[?]) - haven't tried that yet.

An acquaintance with an older Trans-Am has the earlier version ("COMP" without the "2") on his car and has 80K km on them without visible wear. (He must be a sedate driver ...)

Charles