2010+ V8 Tech For you LS3 and LSA guys to discuss modifications.

Paint or Vinyl

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Question Paint or Vinyl

Getting a new 2011 Silver 2SS on Wed. Should I get the factory black vinyl rally stripes or get them painted on at a local shop for about $300.00 more????

Old 08-29-2010, 05:08 PM
2nd Gear member

Personally I recommend painting the stripes. In my experience working with used cars the vinyl stripes don't seem to last too long, and when you remove them you can usually see a difference in the paint.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:07 PM
November 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

the factory black stripe color is also a matte finish..I don't care for it myself, that's why I went with the CGM stripes, if I was gonna go with black I'd paint them with a gloss black.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:05 PM

Does it void the warranty on the paint if you paint on stripes-- I wonder???????

Old 08-29-2010, 07:15 PM

Thanks for the opinion. I've gone back and forth a few times over the last couple days. At least the SS the dealer found for me did not have any stripes so I have the choice. It's gonna be hard to give it to the paint shop for 3 days though.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:49 PM
November 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by StubbyDPD50
Does it void the warranty on the paint if you paint on stripes-- I wonder???????
if at all it would only be on any warranty that applies to the paint......and then it would have to be in the area of striping, whichif there was a problem it could fall on your paint guy anyway.

Originally Posted by StubbyDPD50
Thanks for the opinion. I've gone back and forth a few times over the last couple days. At least the SS the dealer found for me did not have any stripes so I have the choice. It's gonna be hard to give it to the paint shop for 3 days though.
It'd be worth the wait for a nice gloss black ....plus you never know what kind of boob is applying the decals either, that's also one of the reasons I went with the CGM stripes ...they were one of the two colors that were factory applied when I got my car.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:14 AM

Yeah, true, my neighbor has a '10 Yellow 2SS with black hood and hockey stripes. they put his hood decal on I think 3 times because they couldn't get it on straight. (Can't believe he ran out and ordered one of the first ones after I told him thats what I was trying to scrape up the money for--- my kids couldn't wait for me to get BUMBLE BEE.
I cant wait to get ahold of it. I'm working nights and just tried to take a peak at it sitting in the back lot of the dealership but they must have it inside.
Everyone in the county brags about my paint guy--- so hopefully that won't be a problem.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:29 AM

Certainly glad I took your advice and went with painted stripes. Man, are they freakin awesome looking!! Now if the rain would stop so I can get a picture. Sorry its taking so long. The dealership had to get me a whole brand new car after a major cluster----. Long story. At least I got the RS package for no extra charge.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:39 AM
November 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Old 09-28-2010, 05:13 PM

Here they are. I hope these photos attach right. Never put photos in before. Still can't get a good photo to show off the flake in the black paint. My reflection in the hood blots out the image gotta boot the wife's Tahoe out of the garage for a photo.

Attached Thumbnails Paint or Vinyl-img_1651.jpg   Paint or Vinyl-img_1644.jpg   Paint or Vinyl-img_1655.jpg   Paint or Vinyl-img_1653.jpg   Paint or Vinyl-img_1654.jpg  

Quick Reply: Paint or Vinyl