2010+ V8 Tech For you LS3 and LSA guys to discuss modifications.

L99 vs LS3

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 06:03 PM

I recently purchased a 2SS/RS M6. I too, was worried about the clutch, but my worries were unfounded. These clutches are very easy on the knee and very smooth. I had an ACL reconstruction a few years back and my knee has slowly become loose again.

This is what had me worried about using the clutch, but it has been nothing but fun, fun, fun!

Anyone who is concerned with this...try it first before you say no.

That being said, the Automatic IS just as fast as the Manual.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:14 AM

Wow, i didnt check the thread for awhile because i didn't see a response. Why ask about it? because they have an auto camaro SS on the lot right now for 33k, 1k less than i'd pay for the mustang, and like i said, i haven't bought it yet, nothing is signed I dont have to take it.

I did my research when the camaro was new, people said L99 engine is no good so i wrote it off. Now im curious again after seeing this thread apparently some advances were made since it was new. I actually checked the forum after a thread was made somewhere else about the camaros.

so what mods do you have and what is your 1/4 mile time? I dont see any reason to insult one platform over the other, i even looked at the challenger. there are fast cars being driven by owners of all 3, hell i know someone with a subuaru that would destroy just about every mustang/camaro on the road around here, i know there are a few mustangs and camaros around faster, but not many so i respect it for what it is. but im a bang for your buck kind of guy. and i like the auto because im a drag racer.

do you have some #s you can give me for 1/4 mile ET/trap from different mods? stock vs tuned vs whatever else makes a difference.. I really am curious. I could go either way with a camaro or a mustang, i like them both. I saw a used Chally R/T too, love the way those look, i also did my research on those at the time it seemed expensive to get them decently fast.

btw, the manager of my office here has a s/c 2010 camaro SS, but he never drives it, i told him he needs to give me a ride now that the weather is turning nice. he also refused to race me when he was stock with my '07 mustang (i have a lot more mods than whats in my sig)

Maybe things are a bit different here but over at the mustangforums board we have a lot of trans am and camaro drivers posting on there and we respect them when they have questions about mustangs or correct us on things we dont know about camaros.

milehigh huh? live in denver? i've been talking about going to bandimere with my friend, we might go this year if you really want a run, my friend has a KB supercharged 06 mustang, I'm not sure what i'll be driving this summer yet (hell, if i can't get a decent price for my '07 it might still be the '07 mustang) the track we go to now is at 4,000 ft, so not quite as high as bandimere, ran 13.5@102mph on stock tires. i saw a post you have exhaust, intake, and 100shot. have any runs w/o the 100 shot? im interested in knowing them all. I also asked a question on the mustangforums but nobody seemed to know, do you know how fast a Supercharged Camaro SS will typically go? this is an Eaton installed by the GM dealership. curious how fast it is, this is my manager's car, he seems to be under the impression that it is equal to the ZR1.

I also looked at LS3 corvettes, saw a used one for 30k, that would be tempting as well, what had me looking at them is their auto versions have the LS3, but if you say the L99 is as good as an LS3 with the same aftermarket parts then i'd change my mind about considering a camaro.

Last edited by Mishri; 03-15-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:44 PM
May 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Mishri
Wow, i didnt check the thread for awhile because i didn't see a response. Why ask about it? because they have an auto camaro SS on the lot right now for 33k, 1k less than i'd pay for the mustang, and like i said, i haven't bought it yet, nothing is signed I dont have to take it.

I did my research when the camaro was new, people said L99 engine is no good so i wrote it off. Now im curious again after seeing this thread apparently some advances were made since it was new. I actually checked the forum after a thread was made somewhere else about the camaros.

so what mods do you have and what is your 1/4 mile time? I dont see any reason to insult one platform over the other, i even looked at the challenger. there are fast cars being driven by owners of all 3, hell i know someone with a subuaru that would destroy just about every mustang/camaro on the road around here, i know there are a few mustangs and camaros around faster, but not many so i respect it for what it is. but im a bang for your buck kind of guy. and i like the auto because im a drag racer.

do you have some #s you can give me for 1/4 mile ET/trap from different mods? stock vs tuned vs whatever else makes a difference.. I really am curious. I could go either way with a camaro or a mustang, i like them both. I saw a used Chally R/T too, love the way those look, i also did my research on those at the time it seemed expensive to get them decently fast.

btw, the manager of my office here has a s/c 2010 camaro SS, but he never drives it, i told him he needs to give me a ride now that the weather is turning nice. he also refused to race me when he was stock with my '07 mustang (i have a lot more mods than whats in my sig)

Maybe things are a bit different here but over at the mustangforums board we have a lot of trans am and camaro drivers posting on there and we respect them when they have questions about mustangs or correct us on things we dont know about camaros.

milehigh huh? live in denver? i've been talking about going to bandimere with my friend, we might go this year if you really want a run, my friend has a KB supercharged 06 mustang, I'm not sure what i'll be driving this summer yet (hell, if i can't get a decent price for my '07 it might still be the '07 mustang) the track we go to now is at 4,000 ft, so not quite as high as bandimere, ran 13.5@102mph on stock tires. i saw a post you have exhaust, intake, and 100shot. have any runs w/o the 100 shot? im interested in knowing them all. I also asked a question on the mustangforums but nobody seemed to know, do you know how fast a Supercharged Camaro SS will typically go? this is an Eaton installed by the GM dealership. curious how fast it is, this is my manager's car, he seems to be under the impression that it is equal to the ZR1.

I also looked at LS3 corvettes, saw a used one for 30k, that would be tempting as well, what had me looking at them is their auto versions have the LS3, but if you say the L99 is as good as an LS3 with the same aftermarket parts then i'd change my mind about considering a camaro.

Yep used to be a 100 shot I haven't tracked this car and i probably never will it is a 100% street car and my dd, although i would love to run you at Bandimere if you do come to town for sure.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:48 PM
Ninja Administrator

it would be a slaughter...

I am not saying you would beat a new stang or not.

I am saying that he would be on foot... since he has said a couple of times he is hung up between vehicles and wants to know more about the camaro

Old 03-15-2011, 03:23 PM

haha yeah. decisions, decisions, it basically depends on how the dealership treats me once the car does come in, good to know what my options are if i say screw ford im not planning on adding n2o or f/i on any vehicle no matter what i get until i pay it off, so if you spray i'm losing for sure no matter what i'm driving

i have no build date/vin for my car after nearly 2 months so i'm like.. meh about the whole deal right now. when they told me i'd have the car within 2 months.

Last edited by Mishri; 03-15-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by MileHighSS
I have an L99 and i tuned it to get rid of the AFM/DOD and i couldnt be happier, i pulled about a half car to a full car length when i was bone stock (aside from tune) on M6 cars after my tune.

Please explain..what is AFM, and DOD, and what did you use/do to tune them out.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:13 AM
May 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by DRMAN
Please explain..what is AFM, and DOD, and what did you use/do to tune them out.
They are the same thing, active fuel management, it shuts the car down to 4 cylinders in attempt to change fuel. When you tune the car using any software there is a box you simply check and it disables it but then you need to check you a/f and everything to make sure you're running right

Old 04-13-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by MileHighSS
They are the same thing, active fuel management, it shuts the car down to 4 cylinders in attempt to change fuel. When you tune the car using any software there is a box you simply check and it disables it but then you need to check you a/f and everything to make sure you're running right
The AFM only kicks in when your engine is not in need of 8 cyl. If your at the track and giving her power (hopefully in
Competitive/Sport Mode) It would'nt turn on. If you gained a full car length I would say its from the more aggrasive tune,not from turning of the AFM.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:35 AM

For terminology's sake; AFM - Active Fuel Management, DOD - Displacement On Demand. The above two posters covered what this does.