2010+ V8 Tech For you LS3 and LSA guys to discuss modifications.

L99 vs LS3

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 08:54 AM
Default L99 vs LS3

I have been looking the 2SS/RS version. Love the ground effects and exhaust pipes. I know the automatic come with the L99 and the Manual comes with the LS3, with 10 less torque and about 5-15 horse power. Other than that what else are the major differences. Yes I know the Manual is better but autos have gotten better especially with the shift peddles. I have a manual transmission in my truck right now and my 89 5.0 mustang i used to have was the same. To be truthful I'm really really tired of shifting all the damn time.
Heres why.

I'm in this crap everyday. You would get tired of shifting too.

This is what I'm looking at buying tomorrow.
Damn thats one sexy Camaro.
I just want to know the pros and cons of the auto before buying it and down the road wishing i had the Manual, i know thats hard to avoid but i can't stand shifting in traffic anymore.
Thanks for the replies.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:33 PM
In the Staging Lanes

To me it already seems you have made up your mind to get the auto. I would prefer the auto because I get tired of shifting and you always have the paddle shifters if you want to manually shift. If im not mistaken I think the auto has slightly faster times in the 1/4 mile.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:01 PM

I had the same dilema, plus a bad left knee, so I opted for the auto with paddle shift. No regrets so far. I actually enjoy just the driving experience, the suspension, cornering, and those Brembos - wow. I'm not all racy all the time, I mostly need it for transportation... although an occasional blast of a Mustang reminds me of why I didn't buy a four door - ha!

Old 03-08-2011, 03:35 PM
May 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I have an L99 and i tuned it to get rid of the AFM/DOD and i couldnt be happier, i pulled about a half car to a full car length when i was bone stock (aside from tune) on M6 cars after my tune.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:49 PM

Hmmm.... interseting, the reviews and info was seeing on the auto (L99) version was that it was bad, the engine wasn't as good and the transmissions wasn't any good so i decided not to go to a camaro. have much more info on what to expect out of different mods? Right now i'm looking at getting a 2012 mustang GT auto, CAI+o/r x+4.10 gears+tune+drag radials have been getting people around an 11.7@118ish. what sort of mods does it usually take to get an auto camaro i that territory? not trolling here, i do like the looks of the camaro better and would seriously consider buying one instead.

I actually already ordered a 2012 kona blue premium GT, auto, comfort package, side louvers/scoops/decklid for $34,000, but nothing is final (dealership hasn't even called me with build date or other junk and i ordered it 1/27/11) I have a friend that works in sales at the chevy dealership here, might be able to get a deal on a camaro instead... and i heard the ford dealership here sucks.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:39 PM
May 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Mishri
Hmmm.... interseting, the reviews and info was seeing on the auto (L99) version was that it was bad, the engine wasn't as good and the transmissions wasn't any good so i decided not to go to a camaro. have much more info on what to expect out of different mods? Right now i'm looking at getting a 2012 mustang GT auto, CAI+o/r x+4.10 gears+tune+drag radials have been getting people around an 11.7@118ish. what sort of mods does it usually take to get an auto camaro i that territory? not trolling here, i do like the looks of the camaro better and would seriously consider buying one instead.

I actually already ordered a 2012 kona blue premium GT, auto, comfort package, side louvers/scoops/decklid for $34,000, but nothing is final (dealership hasn't even called me with build date or other junk and i ordered it 1/27/11) I have a friend that works in sales at the chevy dealership here, might be able to get a deal on a camaro instead... and i heard the ford dealership here sucks.

Seems like a troll if i ever saw one. If you wanna get your *** handed to you in your new cute little girl car then hit me up i would be glad to show you what a properly running l99 will do.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Ninja Administrator

I am honestly not sure. one advantage the mustang has had since 2005 is its ability to launch. they have been doing more with less power for awhile (although they still barked at the heels of ls1's till 2010 )

I don't know how many 5th gen members we have that have started modding yet.

Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Ninja Administrator

Originally Posted by MileHighSS
Seems like a troll if i ever saw one. If you wanna get your *** handed to you in your new cute little girl car then hit me up i would be glad to show you what a properly running l99 will do.
actually,
he had previously considered the camaro and went mustang due to bad reviews of the tranny. he hasnt taken posession of the mustang yet

I would roll back the attitude a little and then, yes, please do show him what a properly tuned L99 will do - that is the question he had. and if you do, maybe we will have another regular member here

Old 03-09-2011, 03:29 PM
May 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Mishri
(dealership hasn't even called me with build date or other junk and i ordered it 1/27/11)

I am just calling it like i see it, seems like a troll. Why if he ordered a Mustang on 1/27 would he be looking at a Camaro on 2/25 wouldn't you think youd do research BEFORE you ordered 1 of the 2.

But o well i guess i am just the forum @sshole

Old 03-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Ninja Administrator

Ur definitly not the forum @sshole lol. I just know the guy from mustangforums. His question is legit. Even if not he didn't say anything offensive about the L99