2010+ V8 Tech For you LS3 and LSA guys to discuss modifications.

Intake/Exhaust Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Default Intake/Exhaust Questions

https://camaroforums.com/forum/intake-headers-exhaust-22/intake-exhaust-brands-questions-59271/

Originally Posted by BigCarrot
I'm fairly new to Moding my Vehicles and I have a new 2011 SS Camaro that I'm looking at getting intake, headers, and exhaust for eventually.

My question is I'd like to find out how this is all going to sound when it's all said and done and are there any Brands that people have had good experiences with?

I'm just in the starting stages so haven't done a lot of research on what would work best either. Any advice/tips would be appreciated thanks =)
Above is the original post thinking it might be better suited in this forum.

Now i've looked at a K&N intake that seperates itself from the rest of the engine compartment and its around $350 for an intake which took me by surprise. Guess prices have just risen since I last bought an intake.

Headers from reading around these forums is the longer the better. I'm also curious how much of a difference the pipe diameter makes? The headers and exhaust are the most critical parts to me because that can significantly change the sound of my car. It seems like some websites have the sound change it makes for exhausts, but if anyone has input on a particular brand and how it sounds/works that would be great.

Also curious what types of Reprogrammers/Chips are worth using? I've read on a few posts that you should get your chip reprogrammed at a Dyno shop. I'm around the Houston Area so all these items should be available to me. Anyone from around here got some advice?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:18 PM

Since you have a new car if you change the headers to the best of my knowledge you will void the warranty. I have a 2010 V6 Camaro and changed the exhaust to a axle back slp Loudmouth 2 from LMPerformance and it was the best 500 bucks I have ever spent. MUCH better than Flowmaster and Magnaflow. The setup is all Stainless steel and sounds GREAT. You might want to check it out and be careful not to change ANYTHING that voids your warranty. :-) Gizz...

Old 02-14-2011, 08:59 AM

yeah Im doing research and if any of these items do void warranty i'll just put it off till later, thanks =)

Old 02-17-2011, 08:42 AM

Got another question now.

Catback vs Axle Back Exhausts:

Now with an Axle Back Exhaust that basically is just the Muffler and the Tips being changed vs Catback which is a larger pipe from the Catalytic Converter to the Tips. Obviously you'll get more hp/torque gains with the Catbacks but if you just want to change the sound of your car Axle Back seems the way to go. You'd probably want a bigger intake if you change the whole exhaust system where if you just do the Axle Back it probably isn't necessary.

Axle Back Exhaust also appear like I could install them myself with very few tools and are almost half the price of a full exhaust system.

So anyone have any input on these two types of exhausts?

Old 02-19-2011, 01:30 PM

The best assurance you can get regarding warranty is from your dealer. I believe that in order to void the warranty on any vehicle they have to prove that the problem was a direct result of any modicfications you made.
I am having ARH long tubes installed along with Corsa Cat Back exhausts on my 2010 SS LS3. The CAI is by Roto-Fab. You can see them on the web.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:21 PM

CamaroSSded...where are you located? How much did those 3 mods cost? i am thinking of the exact same mods, only with a KnN intake. Whats better in your opinion, the Rotofab or K&n? I am definitley getting the AR headresand corsa exhaust. If not corsa, then loudmouth. I appreciate your reply.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Thumbs up

I am located in Northern NJ. The mods are being done by ECS Performance and will cost about 4500, including 160F stat and dyno tune. The corsa is expensive, but I think worth it based on what I've heard. I looked at K&N and a few other CAI systems, but I spoke with Roto-fab and after visiting their site ordered their complete custom engine package to match my GM paint color. Everything arrived in a week as promised. You can see their stuff on line. Really nice. I went with the carbon fiber CAI tubing with Victory Red housing and clamps. Added a matching carbon fiber radiator cover and plenum cover, and Victory Red engined covers.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:23 AM

What's the best intake out there for the LS3 Camaro. I'm not much of a fan of K&N!!!!

Old 10-29-2011, 10:19 PM

The Roto-fab cold air intake can come in any color you want, and the quality is great.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:43 AM

Is there a noticeable difference in sound/performance with a CAI installed?

Quick Reply: Intake/Exhaust Questions