2010+ V8 Tech For you LS3 and LSA guys to discuss modifications.

Dealer says no more custom SS orders >:o

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

The reason for the restrictions on SS models is the EPA, not GM. The EPA says that GM and all makers must meet certain fuel ratings overall, so they need to sell a certain number of economy models across the board for every high performance model that gets a little less gas mileage.
Thus the reason for trying to hold back until they sell a few more V6 models, before resuming taking SS orders.

Old 09-14-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1971BB427
The reason for the restrictions on SS models is the EPA, not GM. The EPA says that GM and all makers must meet certain fuel ratings overall, so they need to sell a certain number of economy models across the board for every high performance model that gets a little less gas mileage.
Thus the reason for trying to hold back until they sell a few more V6 models, before resuming taking SS orders.

AKA "CAFE" standards

Brian

Old 09-15-2009, 11:04 AM
Default Every dealer different

Originally Posted by johnnyashcan
I finally decided to get myself a brand new 2SS yesterday so I popped into the local Chevy dealership. My experience was.. less than satisfactory.

They had one Camaro in stock, and it was already sold. On top of that the dealer had sold it for TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS OVER MSRP. The sales guy said this was 'standard practice' right now because of 'supply and demand'.. I call it dealer gouging. Can you imagine being ten grand upside down on your loan for the entire ownership of your vehicle?

Furthermore he told me that even if it wasn't already purchased that they 'weren't giving test drives anyway' unless you have already put a deposit down. Being that a deposit is more or less a promise to buy, how could I promise to buy a car that I have never even driven?

Since I am shelling out the dough for a brand new car, I am really particular about what I want, and I won't be satisfied unless I get exactly that. The good news is that if you custom order they don't gouge you for ten grand. The bad news? Allegedly the factor has stopped taking custom orders. They're on hold indefinitely. So the guy couldn't even tell me when they would be able to fulfill such an order.

All in all a sternly disappointing experience. Frankly I am dumbfounded.

Am I overreacting here or was this dealership being a real d*ck about the whole situation?

Has anyone had a similar (or different) experience trying to buy a 2SS?

And has anyone heard of the hold on custom orders they told me about, or were they full of it?
I'm not sure where you come from but here in Colorado every dealer is different. Some over charge yet some,like mine Hajek Chevrolet Didn't. As far as not being able to order anymore ss's. I had heard they put a hold on making them for now. How long I'm not sure. Don't give up and try several dealers,even if you have to go out of state. I've heard about several people doing that and getting a great deal. You can have your Camaro serviced at any dealer so don't worry about that issue. I'm telling you if you really want one pursue it because this is a beautiful car and loads of fun.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:29 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Go chevy in Denver 250 under msrp
Al serra in the springs 5000 over
pueblo 2500 over
hometown in NC 10000 over

this for a 1SS

Old 09-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Default Buying experience

I had no problem getting my 2010 ss. Went to a dealer they had one. Test drove it. Went home checked on alot of other dealers . Everyone said its extra 5 grand over msrp. Knowone would negotiate. Not even a little. Went back to first dealer put some money down went home in it. Just that easy

Old 09-20-2009, 08:32 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Just that easy to pay $5000 over or they gave you a deal?

I made the $5K mistake on a 99 Durango and vowed never again. With a $5K markup a $37K car is a $25K car after you drive it off the lot. A $32K car is a $25K car after you drive it off the lot. I said that I would just have to wait till next year and the deal said lets talk.

I hope you got a deal, but I know you love it either way, I just didnt have $5K to give someone to let me buy it.

My dealer had to use the 13th out of 12 alocations to get me mine, dont know how that worked, but I guess they can build off other dealers alocations if need be.

Last edited by edog2; 09-20-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:58 PM
2nd Gear member

we ordered the 2010 back in june or july, literally they sat us at a computer, we picked options, printed it out and they charged MSRP directly from the build website..
It got here yesterday

Old 03-09-2010, 03:57 PM

Well the rush might be over soon. The local dealers around me( northern indiana) have alot of stock SS's on the lot. They arent really discounting them per say, but they certainly aren't charging more than sticker either. I haven't asked for a test drive yet until I am serious enough to to buy. Not all dealers are that way though. I agree if I was serious enough to buy, and was refused a test drive on a car I was interested in. I would throw a huge fit and make them understand my dismay immediately. But they shouldnt let every 20 something year old kid who walks in the show room just take an SS car out for a thrashing either.

Old 04-02-2010, 06:57 AM

Hope this is done by now cause I'll be ready really soon...lol.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:52 AM

I will be looking soon-My wife has problems with stick shift so I have to sell my Shelby and will consider a new Camaro with Automatic
Noticed a lot of them at local dealers a MSRP
and on Ebay
Sarge

Quick Reply: Dealer says no more custom SS orders >:o