2010+ V8 Tech For you LS3 and LSA guys to discuss modifications.

2010 2SS Valve Lifter Noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:45 PM
Default 2010 2SS Valve Lifter Noise

Sometimes when I start the engine, the lifters are noisy for about 1 second. It is completely random...hot, cold does not make a difference. Factory says this is "normal". Anyone have the same problem?

bobby201

Old 09-23-2010, 12:29 PM
Official GM Representitive

Have you had the vehicle checked by your local dealership? If not I would suggest you do so to make sure that the vehicle is running as it is supposed to. If you have any problems or have any other questions feel free to contact me through the forum.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

Old 10-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Default 2010 Camaro 2SS Valve Lifter Noise

Jeff:
The Sevice Manager called today. Zone Manager Denise Zobel told him the lifter noise is normal. Please verify with Denise. Case #71-876366193, Bulletin 0900-89-002C. Please check to see if this bulletin applies to my car. I have the L99 engine. The noise is intermitent. How is this normal? Normal is no noise. Hydraulic lifters do not bleed down. My car has the Fuel Management System. Could there be a problem with this system that is causing the problem?

Bobby201

Old 10-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Tech Droid

That is a common complaint with displacement on demand LSx engines since the system was marketed. Try a different brand of synthetic oil till you fond one that keeps things quiet. I had good luck with Pennzoil 5W30 synthetic.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Official GM Representitive

I did check through the notes for the case that you gave me and what was suggested was for the dealership to have one of our field representatives listen to the vehicle. You may wish to contact the dealership back to check to see if they are planning on having one of our representatives inspect the vehicle. I hope that helps you.

Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
I did check through the notes for the case that you gave me and what was suggested was for the dealership to have one of our field representatives listen to the vehicle. You may wish to contact the dealership back to check to see if they are planning on having one of our representatives inspect the vehicle. I hope that helps you.

The Service Manager called. A Tech Bulletin update now includes my engine. The bulletin says to change the oil first. If this does not work, then Chevy says to replace the valve lifters. I have an appointment to change the oil. Will let you know if this works. Thanks for your help.

Old 11-29-2010, 08:40 AM

bobby...I noticed the same thing...how'd this work out for you?

Old 12-06-2010, 08:46 AM
2nd Gear member

That is terrible, buy a new car and have to replace the lifters. Just a little advice here, my dad bought a vette new in 87 and the VATS messed up on it. Well, the dealer thought it was something under the intake so they took the intake off to replace whatever part it was. Well, when my dad picked up his brand new vette, it had wrench marks all over the intake and bolts. He made them replace whatever was damaged and they did but that is just rediculous that a dealer would mess up your stuff like that and just give it back to you. If I were you, I would want that car to look like they had never touched it after they are done. Just thought i would give a little advice, good luck.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:00 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Bobbie 201,

How does this story end? I'm curious because I just bought a used 2010 2SS M6. The idle is intermittently rought and I swear I can hear what sounds like a lifter tapping at between 1K and 2K rpm. I also think I feel a little bit of hesitation during mild acceleration.

This car sat on a dealers lot for almost 4 months between when it was traded and when I bought it. I'm thinking that it was probably started up to move it to a new location on the lot and then shut down over and over. Since the engine never got to operating temperature, lots of gunk may have accumulated. (Just a theory.)

So I'm really curious to find out how your lifter issue turned out. Please respond.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Smile 2010 Camaro 2SS Valve Lifter Noise

Originally Posted by Black Bettie
bobby...I noticed the same thing...how'd this work out for you?
Black Bettie:
Dealer installed new design lifters mid-December. Have not driven car much due to bad weather here. So far, no lifter noise when I start. Idle much..much better. Can hear light ticking sound outside the car....cool. I have the HP exhaust.....can here V-8 rumble at idle. Runs great...sounds cool!

bobby201

Quick Reply: 2010 2SS Valve Lifter Noise