2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter tires for 2011 RS Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 06:56 PM
Default Winter tires for 2011 RS Camaro

I live in Michigan and am hoping to keep my 20 inch rims out of the salt all together. I priced a few 20" winter tires and I think I may be better off getting some cheap steel rims and some all seasons. My job is flexible so I don't leave the house on days when there is heavy snow but some times its unavoidable.

1.) Does anyone know if I can put the stock 18" heritage rims that come on the non-RS Camaros? I assume there is no difference but I'm not sure.

2.) Does anyone have any for sale?

Old 10-13-2011, 03:40 PM

Hey Bruiser, I'm in the same boat work-wise but Winter tires are mandatory here... I've opted for 19"s for the Winter on my '11 2LT/RS. I've heard tons of people saying stuff about "roller skate" breaks being an issue for clearance with the 18"s but I'm not sure which models have them... they can however be replaced from what I'm told.

I won't have my car for another 2 weeks or so though so again I'm not sure which models this "roller skate" issue applies to. Hopfully someone else can elaborate cause I wouldn't mind downsizing to 18"s to save a few bucks on Winter tires.

Edit: Actually, should probably post in the wheels & tires section and someone from Tirerack will get back to you...

Last edited by Cynthius; 10-13-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cynthius
Hey Bruiser, I'm in the same boat work-wise but Winter tires are mandatory here... I've opted for 19"s for the Winter on my '11 2LT/RS. I've heard tons of people saying stuff about "roller skate" breaks being an issue for clearance with the 18"s but I'm not sure which models have them... they can however be replaced from what I'm told.

I won't have my car for another 2 weeks or so though so again I'm not sure which models this "roller skate" issue applies to. Hopfully someone else can elaborate cause I wouldn't mind downsizing to 18"s to save a few bucks on Winter tires.

Edit: Actually, should probably post in the wheels & tires section and someone from Tirerack will get back to you...
I'm almost sure the roller skate brakes are those on the SS versions. Since mine is only the V6 I believe they are just standard and can accept the stock heritage rims. I found some on craigslist today with just 5 miles on them, $600 for rims and tires so that's what I'm going with. Check with dealers too, sometimes they have take offs available.

Old 10-28-2011, 08:34 PM

The larger brakes are on the SS.

Bill

Old 12-22-2011, 01:26 PM

I don't know about the rims fitting but I would look into using studded tires!