2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I am considering a Camaro instead of a Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 05:22 AM
Default Why I am considering a Camaro instead of a Challenger

You guys are gonna love this...

I have always loved both the Camaro and the Challenger and have been on the fence trying to decide.

Well, after working with a sale man at Dodge for a week, over email and phone, as the dealership does not have the car I want, i.e. an SRT 392, he asked me what options I wanted etc.
I told him "I like Orange, Red, Blue, and Yellow for the color, and options do not matter as long as the car is a SRT 392 or SRT CORE model".

The sales man replied "What is a CORE"?

IMHO that is as bad as a sale man saying what is a "SS" or "R/T".

To make it worse, as you all might or might not know, Challengers with the 5.7L Hemi and auto transmission have had a rash of timing chain failures, since 2010 due to the gas saver technology (MDS) kicking in and out during freeway driving at 60 mph + at around 30k miles.
The complaints are many, but yet no recall.

You would be surprised how many posters on the Challenger forums find both the salesman ignorance acceptable and timing chain failures acceptable.

After a long series of frustration with Dodge in trying to buy a car, I decided to go with a Camaro.
So I guess, my question is, do Camaro customers find a sale man who does not know his own car models disturbing?

Can you imagine on the Dodge assembly line a manager pointing out to a worker that he put a V6 timing chain guide tensioner on a V8 model?
And the worker says "what is a V8"?

IMHO a job is a priviledge and not a right, know your product!

Old 10-13-2013, 10:31 PM

I love the looks of the SRT challenger, but I would be hesitant to buy a Dodge/Chrylser product. Our fleet of police Dodge RT Chargers have not held up at all. Common problem is overheating, via thermostat problems. When this occurs, the heads warp and the motors are ruined. We've had to replace probably about 7 motors because of this. Another problem is the under hood heat the cars develop, which dries out the electric fan blades. We've had several radiators destroyed from fan blades becoming brittle, which would then come apart at speed and fly like shrapnel into the radiator. The interior pieces also fell apart from constant use. Go with the Chevy.