Waxing with flat black stripes????

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 07:26 AM
Talking Waxing with flat black stripes????

Forgive me if this has already been discussed....but I was curious if anyone had a solution for being able to wax my 2011 1LT/RS Camaro with flat black stripes. I found paperwork in glovebox advising not to apply wax to stripes. So does this mean I can not wax my car at all as stripes run up the areas you want to wax to protect anyways. Just curious if anyone else has flat stripes and what you plan to do to address this.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:19 PM

You know, it is funny. When I purchased my camaro a couple of weeks ago, the dealer had it detailed before delivery. I did noticed that they waxed the entire car, including the black stripes.

I didn't know that 'we weren't supposed to apply wax to the stripes'. After a few days, I noticed that the black stripes look 'faded' in some areas, in circular patterns.

Should I go back to the dealer and complain?

By the way, I didn't find any paper work, in my car, stating that the stripes are not supposed to be waxed.

BL (in San Francisco).

Old 11-10-2010, 06:38 PM
In the Staging Lanes

hell yea id go back to the dealer! its a bran new car that came scratched and faded.... that wouldnt be cool in my books.

as for the stripes flat black shows even small scratchs, and all waxs are abrasive no matter how much they say they arent. i would use some cleaner wax spray. or "in between wash", spray.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:04 PM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Those stripes are just decals and depending on what they are made of, wax can seep through them and mess with the "glue" that holds them on. I would wax around them if you're going to. Although I would expect GM to use quality stuff that wouldn't allow seepage.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:07 PM
3rd Gear Member

Yes, GM is all about quality.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce_Lee
You know, it is funny. When I purchased my camaro a couple of weeks ago, the dealer had it detailed before delivery. I did noticed that they waxed the entire car, including the black stripes.

BL (in San Francisco).

All dealerships have their cars detailed before sale, that is a given. But their form of wax is not like a rubbing compound the average Joe can buy. Dealerships and a lot of detailing places have a machine that will spray on a short-life coating, just like at the car wash. The stuff the dealerships use is a better quality though, than car washes anyways.

However, don't wax your stripes. Just wax the whole car but skip around all the moldings, as you always would, and wax up to around 1/4" from the stripes, just like the moldings. That way you'll keep from getting wax under the edge of your stripes, leaving a white residue line around your stripes and ultimately pulling them up in the future.