2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V6(LT) or V8(SS)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Default V6(LT) or V8(SS)?

Hey all, just signed up here so I am new to this site. Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section.

Anyway I'm saving up to buy a 2010 camaro by about this time next year. I plan to get one certified pre-owned. I figured out i could easily afford the v6 version and still have a bit of cash left over every month. My other option is to spend the extra few grand and get an SS. Obviously I would prefer the SS, but the payments each month will be more, and gas would be more. I currently have a '98 Honda Civic with manual transmission and I get about 35 mpg. I'm prepared to pay the price of gas if I were to get a V6 or a V8 though. But the V6 and V8 have such a small difference in miles per gallon, and such a huge change in power, getting a V6 just doesn't seem worth it to me.

So the question here is, which one should I get? And if you guys could post your mpg here along with which one you have (V6 or SS), what transmission you have(auto or manual), and how hard you drive it, that would really help me out.

Thanks for taking the time to read, hopefully I explained the situation well enough for you guys. Any replies are appreciated!

Old 05-21-2012, 04:37 PM
April 2012 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Well I'd prob go with the ss if you really want it. I ran into the same problem when buying my grand prix gtp but the gas milage was such a small difference from the gt version I went for the extra power of the supercharged gtp

Old 05-22-2012, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Camambro
Well I'd prob go with the ss if you really want it. I ran into the same problem when buying my grand prix gtp but the gas milage was such a small difference from the gt version I went for the extra power of the supercharged gtp
Yeah from 90% of the people I've talked to, the SS gets anywhere from 16-20 mpg, more than usual in the 18-20 range. That's incredible for a V8! The V6 is projected right around the same range. Ok so the issue of fuel is out the window, but I wonder how much the SS will go down in price over the next year. If I can get one for under 20 grand that would work for me!

Thanks for the quick reply by the way

Old 05-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Tech Droid

Gas mileage depends mostly on how the car is driven. If you take full advantage of the power provided by the engine, then the more powerful engine will use proportionally more fuel. In cruise mode either engine will produce the same amount of power to keep the car moving, so fuel mileage will be similar.

Old 05-22-2012, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by z28pete
Gas mileage depends mostly on how the car is driven. If you take full advantage of the power provided by the engine, then the more powerful engine will use proportionally more fuel. In cruise mode either engine will produce the same amount of power to keep the car moving, so fuel mileage will be similar.
Yeah that makes sense. I'll mostly be driving it regularly, but every now and then when I want to have some fun I'll push it. I expect to get somewhere around 16-18 mpg with that style of driving.

Old 05-23-2012, 06:25 PM

How much do you guys think the SS will go down in price by next year? If I were to buy a 2010 SS base model in 2013, would it be under 22,000?

Old 05-23-2012, 06:45 PM
3rd Gear Member

Location is everything. I doubt the price will drop much anyhow, the only thing that might affect price is the ZL1.

I don't see the six banger camaros as being worth their cost. They don't get great gas mileage, their power is good but in the heavy *** 5th gen it gets nullified, and you pay a premium for insurance because it is still a Camaro, regardless of being a six banger. Keep looking and buy the one you want, don't pass over one you truly love because you think you might save a couple grand in another year or so.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Failed Devices
Location is everything. I doubt the price will drop much anyhow, the only thing that might affect price is the ZL1.

I don't see the six banger camaros as being worth their cost. They don't get great gas mileage, their power is good but in the heavy *** 5th gen it gets nullified, and you pay a premium for insurance because it is still a Camaro, regardless of being a six banger. Keep looking and buy the one you want, don't pass over one you truly love because you think you might save a couple grand in another year or so.
Well the cheapest I found one for right now is 27,000 bucks but it only had like 10,000 miles on it. I'm sure there will be some 2010 certified pre-owns with over 30,000 miles on it a year from now for somewhere around 22,000.

I totally understand what you mean though. I'm pretty set on the SS right now, the only thing is I can't afford a $400 a month payment. I will have about 5 or 6 grand for a down payment on it by next year so if I can find one for 22,000 bucks or less it will be under 300 a month in payments. Then I still have to worry about insurance increase and gas.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:11 PM
April 2012 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Honestly if your that unsure about if you can afford one I prob would wait a lot longer before getting one. You don't want to back yourself into a financial corner.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Camambro
Honestly if your that unsure about if you can afford one I prob would wait a lot longer before getting one. You don't want to back yourself into a financial corner.
I know what you mean. I don't want to go into detail of my financial situation but I make enough every month, I'm putting away about 350 every month into my savings (my "camaro fund"), for my down payment, and I still have quite a bit of free spending money.

So I'm not worried about backing myself into a corner, nor am I saying I'm wealthy by any means, but I know I can afford 300 bucks a month.