Shifter Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 07:56 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club
Default Shifter Problem

The short of it is the dang thing practically fell out while waiting at a light.

So I am probably going with an MGW shifter and the install videos show step one as pulling off the ****. Since my issue is that the stock shift is hella loose and I'm pretty sure I could spin it 360 I wanted to see how hard it was to pull the **** off. Looks hard in the vid, but to my suprise it slid up about 1/4 inch real easy, so I pulled a little more and the whole stick came out and was flopping around in the boot.

Of course this happens at a light since I was bored. It slid right back down with as little effort as it took to pull off.

So anybody else's shifter just pull apart like this?

I am going to swing by the dealer as soon as I have a chance, even though it is kinda a waste to fix since I plan on replacing it anyway. But my projects usually take months to go from plan to execute and I dont want this to happen again, especially since I now cant stop messing with it.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:18 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

5th gens are over rated....... Should have bought a 4th gen. They don't fall apart

Since it's a near brand new car, I'd take it back to the dealer and raise h*** until they replace it.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:07 PM
September 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Usually they'll work with you on something like that.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I thought I shoood you away already.

I went and took it all the way out and the should be a one piece is a two piece held together by the rubber boot. I'm guessing that I just missed a shot of super glue on the assembly line.

I did try and call the dealer to see if they have seen it, but they were closed already. It would be nice to just get some $$$ toward my MGW instead of them fixing it, but I'm sure thats a long shot.

Old 11-20-2010, 09:59 AM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Dealer appointment Weds morning. I'll let you know what goes down. But the guy I talked to already was saying to bring it in for safety.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:21 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

So new shift being overnighted, but due to holiday dont know when it will come in. I told them not to worry next week is fine by me since it isnt super critical.

They also ran a TSB for HVAC reprogram, Engine harness inspection, and rear spoiler fasteners. They said no letters go out, but it is done when they come in for service.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:38 PM
GTO Killer
LimeKnight

at least theyre fixing it

Old 11-25-2010, 06:45 AM
November 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

If I have problems with mine....I'll have no choice but to go with a Hurst short throw

Old 11-25-2010, 08:42 AM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Thats what I thought at first too, but I changed my mind after looking at whats out there. If I end up replacing it I am going with the MGW. Hurst is nice and nostalgic and all (its whats in the 67) but it looks like more bang for the buck with the MGW.

Will have to make the decision after my stockie gets right though.

Old 11-27-2010, 11:20 AM

Congrats! Now the fun of the aftermarket world begins... Think Eaton Supercharger!

Quick Reply: Shifter Problem