Never driven a stick shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 PM
1st Gear Member

The first time I drove a manual transmission car was when I drove it home from the lot.

One thing I've noticed about LS engines and the T56 is that the engine is fairly forgiving if you're not stupid with the clutch. I wouldn't think the LS3/TR6060 would be any different. If you're anxious about driving it home - even after taking lessons/practicing on a rental - just take your time in the lot. Starting from a dead stop is the hardest part (especially on a hill, but I bet you won't encounter them at first). Don't need to give it any gas at first - let up on the clutch slowly until the engine starts to bog, then squeeze on the gas slowly.

Do it a few times, and you'll get the hang of it. As for my preferences, I find having a manual transmission car gets me involved in driving alot more - driving an automatic seems more "mindless" to me.

Old 02-22-2011, 10:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Pablo63
Learn how before you purchase. It'll take you 10 minutes to learn and a day or two to master. It's not hard. Just make sure you start off in a large empty parking lot somewhere like a closed shopping mall or an industrial park. Heck I bet a salesman would even take you to one and teach you if he thought you were serious about buying one. IMO everyone should know how to drive stick. As a matter I wouldn't let my kids get their licenses until they learned.
x2.

I was looking into a car and never drove a stick. The salesman took me out back to teach me how to drive one. Its a toss up. If you want to enjoy your car then buy a auto..... not saying that you won't enjoy it with a stick but I would buy a stick if I really wanted to DRIVE the car. If I was looking into buying a new Camaro, I would get a stick... but thats just me.

Old 02-23-2011, 09:09 AM
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Saint Ebony
You're about to spend what, $25, $30k on a car you're not sure you'll be able to drive?

Spend $200 and buy a Chevette or something with a manual and trash the **** out of it while you learn how. At least you'll have the basics down when you get it. I already had to replace the transmission once in my Cobalt because I didn't take that advice.

There'll still be a new car waiting for you in six months- it's not like they stopped building them or anything
Good call on the chevette, those things can be driven forever and take an absolute beating, plus they are fun in the snow. Once you beat on it for 6months you can sell it for what you paid for it....