Never driven a stick shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 06:29 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Maybe I really did have a faulty transmission. Still, all of my screwing around whilst figuring it out couldn't have helped any.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by PatrickAupperle
So you would suggest I get the auto? Interesting. I just feel weird buying an auto without ever trying a stick. I will definitely take your advice under consideration.

Anyone else have anything to contribute?
All I'm saying, is don't let the fact that you can't drive a manual discourage you. There are +/- to driving both, for me, I'm fine with an auto. My first car was a 75 Ford Courier, Dad said if I wanted to learn how to drive it, I needed to hop in it, and just go...but don't leave the neighborhood. It took me a couple hours, and in a day or two, it was like I'd always known how. Again, my last two cars where manuals, I just got tired of driving a manual in heavy traffic, etc.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

try to rent a manual car that way if you fry the clutch you wont have a problem

Old 02-07-2011, 12:13 PM
1st Gear Member

Just make sure you get the 6$ insurance

Old 02-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

^^ exactly chaotic could hook you up he works at enterprise

Old 02-07-2011, 04:25 PM

Renting a car does seem like a good idea. I'll probably go by the rental place when I get time. Thank you for that suggestion, and I will make sure I get the insurance.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 PM

Patrick,
I had the exact same problem you did with the same thoughts. I ended up buying the manual SS anyway and couldn't be happier. It took me the weekend to get comfy enough to drive it home ~6 hours and through DC traffic. Don't regret it one bit, even though I've had an automatic for 10 years.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:33 PM

You don't have any friends or family with a stick shift that will teach you?

If not, ask someone at the dealership to teach to drive a stick on a less expensive car.

The first Viper I ever sold was to a guy who couldn't drive a standard transmission. We took out one of the used Dodge Neons on the lot and spent the day driving around town till he got the hang of it. By 5pm the guy was leaving the dealership in a brand new Viper.

Incase you were wondering that was back in 2006, and yes he still has the car and never wrecked it.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:29 PM

I just bought a new Camaro with a Manual Transmission and I learned on a friends car. It took me a little longer than some people to learn but once you do it's not a problem at all. Asking the Dealer/Salesman to help always works if you can handle the embarassment. Just remember everyone had the same types of problems when they first learned

Old 02-21-2011, 06:24 PM

If you're wondering whether to get a stick shift with a car with well over 400 horses, maybe you should get a camry bro...

Quick Reply: Never driven a stick shift