2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first annoyance with the car

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:47 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default My first annoyance with the car

After owning the car for six months I have finally come across something I dislike about the car: the oil filter. I changed the oil on Friday and was really annoyed with said filter. Not only is it in a compromising position (access requires removal of the top half of the air box and removal of engine cover and being careful not to bang into the positive battery terminal) but the stupid filter says it needs to be torqued in Nm!! 25 Nm to be exact. Why is it in Nm and not Ft-lbs like everything else in SAE? The conversion from Nm to Ft-lbs is 1.36 Nm per 1 Ft-lbs which is roughly 18.5 Ft-lbs for the cap. Not only did I have to stop and convert the numbers, my torque wrench only goes down to 20 Ft-lbs. My compromise was setting the wrench to 20 Ft-lbs and leaving the "25 Nm" label snug at the 12 o' clock position. The irony behind all this is that the nut on the oil filter cap is a 15/16" socket. Why did GM opt for the cartridge filter setup on the V6? Otherwise, I am running AMSOIL with a WIX filter and I can feel a difference. I hope this helps anyone who has the V6 and hasn't changed their oil yet.

Last edited by pezlow; 05-23-2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: wrong socket size