Mustang to Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 AM
Default Mustang to Camaro?

I am thinking of getting a new Camaro after having my Mustang GT for the past 5 years. Has anyone gone from the Mustang GT to the new Camaro? What were your thoughts? I have heard visibility is not so good in the new Camaros and wondered how owners feel about the interior overall.
Just looking for some info before I start actually shopping for one or the other.
Thanks!

Old 01-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Smile

I just bought my 2010 SS/RS last Saturday. I was able to drive it twice so far, but I was looking for these huge blind spots and was worried about it, but I don't see the issue. I had cars around me and all and felt comfortable changing lanes, etc. As far as the Mustang, I'm a die hard GM guy, so I couldn't give you any information there.

Old 01-23-2011, 01:58 PM

Visibility is fine out of the front windshield and everyone else in your rear view mirror! >

Old 01-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Cool

As I said, I have not had a chance to test drive either, and was just going by what I had heard. I appreciate the info. How about the gauges? Some have said they are in an awkward spot to easily read. Is the interior quality high? I know a few years back, the Mustangs had all that plastic in the interior that always felt cheap.

Thanks for the info!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:41 PM

I got some valuable input for this one. I owned a 2009 Mustang GT Premium for a short time. It was also the second new Mustang I had owned. I traded it after about 6 months for a Hummer (family reasons). I loved it and thought it was a great car. Good power, good control and good quality. And I was also a big Ford person, so I instinctively gave the Mustang preference over the Camaro.

I just recently started selling cars for a Chevrolet dealership. Part of my training is taking all the new vehicles out for a drive to use all their features, so I can showcase them to customers.

Yesterday, I drove a new 2011 Camaro 2SS with an auto trans. It was a great ride. Lots of power and torque. The paddle shifters are a great feature too, gives you the feel of a manual. I love how Chevrolet used buttons instead of larger lever type shifters. Today, I drove a 2011 Camaro 2SS with the manual transmission. And let me tell ya, I was an instant convert. It shifted magnificently, had tons of power, sounded like it was going to rip the pavement out from under the tires and it handled like pure ecstasy. The interior of the new Camaro (loaded version) is pure quality. Much better than a Mustang. Mustangs now have comparable power and torque, but it still comes down to quality.

Ford has the habit of taking a regular V6 interior and just glueing a few extra parts on it and calling it a premium interior. It feels cheap and generic. Chevrolet put some serious thought into their Camaro interior and it shows. The car is solid like a rock and pushes the envelope to a whole new level. As far as the gauges go, it depends on your seating adjustment/position. They are easy to read if you adjust your seat right. Also, the Camaro comes with a HUD. So your speedometer is projected onto the windshield. It also projects the ambient temperature and radio station onto the windshield. You can adjust the position of the HUD and fade it's brightness to keep it from distracting you. Or you can just turn it off.

To me, it's a no-brainer. I would buy the Camaro, hands down. And if you can afford it I would get the SS with the manual trans. You won't be sorry. I plan on buying one within the next year or so.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:12 AM

Thanks! That was the kind of information I was looking for.

Old 01-29-2011, 02:45 PM
November 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

you need to test drive them yourself...the only true way to decide !!

Old 02-12-2011, 12:51 PM

i just got my 2010 ss the other day. i had a 2000 mustang camaro is better i think but mustang sounds better with the flows

Old 02-12-2011, 02:21 PM

Ill agree that the visibility is somewhat less, however this isn't the reason we buy these cars... I have personally driven both and have always preferred the Camaro.. not to mention if your talking about power... dollar for dollar the Camaro is a better deal.

Old 02-13-2011, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Chevelle Man
you need to test drive them yourself...the only true way to decide !!
I definitely agree with you on that. I plan to test drive one in the next week or two. I was just looking for some input from those who have already had theirs a little while.
Thank for all the info that you guys have shared!

Quick Reply: Mustang to Camaro?