How much will the Camaro cost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Default How much will the Camaro cost?

My first car was a 1994 V6 Camaro and I currently drive a 2007 V6 Mustang. I'malmost 22 andgot a few years of driving experiance, soI'm looking to trade my stang inandlook intoa V8 vehicle,leaning towardsa convertible, in the $30,000-$35,000 range.

I've been checking out the new mustang GT convertible, the dealers around herehave them listedfor around $33,000-$34,000.I really like the mustangs, but I alsoreally like the new Camaro body, and I've heard that there coming out in the fall of 2008 (can anyonesecond that?).

The Mustang GT has a 4.6 Liter at around300 bhp. I've heard that the new camaro is going to feature an engine over 400 horse power. If this is true, is this vehicle going to be closer to $40,000? In addition, I'm interested in the convertible and I know dealers are going to mark these cars up pretty high. With that being said, is it realistic for the new camaro to be sold under $40,000? I know the new challenger hasa 425 horse power 6.1 liter Hemi and the dodge site lists them at like 40 grand.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:37 PM
2nd Gear member
Default RE: How much will the Camaro cost?

The Camaro will certainly have an optional engine of 400+ HP, but I would not expect that to compete with the 4.6 liter Mustang in price: I would expect the V8 to price out a bit more than the Mustang GT. GM's direct injection V6 puts out just slightly over 300 HP (I think 304) in the Cadillac CTS and it would be the likely candidate pricewise -- I think Chevy said it would be rated at around 285 in the 'maro.

Also, realize that the car has yet to come out, and there will be a period when Chevy won't give much discount, and Ford will be discounted Mustangs quite a bit to prove they sell well in spite of the Camaro. The Mustang will probably be the lowest cost V8 by a good amount.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:46 PM
1st Gear Member

The new Camaro (which should be on dealer lots March 2009) should be priced close to the Mustang though a little higher.
Clyde

Old 04-07-2008, 07:59 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wildpaws

The new Camaro (which should be on dealer lots March 2009) should be priced close to the Mustang though a little higher.
Clyde
i hope $5,000 isnt a little higher

Old 04-07-2008, 08:09 PM
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gordon24Camaro

ORIGINAL: wildpaws

Clyde
i hope $5,000 isnt a little higher
Well I don't consider $5,000 "a little higher, I'm thinking it will be more in the $500-$1,500 range.
Clyde

Old 04-07-2008, 10:49 PM

I have been folllowing this closely and the Camaro looks like it will be offered in 3 different platforms,
Base V6 around 240-250hp (Cost slighly more than the V6 Mustang)
Performance V6 (Could be Turbo) 300-320hp (just underthe GT's Price)
Top Model V8 (385-400hp) L76 AFM Most likley 36,000 car (Lutz says the Top camaro will be better quality than the Mustang GT
with more options so expect it to cost more)

If anybody thought that it was possible to price a Camaro around theMustang, with an "upscale" interior, and an extremely advanced IRS system....they're nuts.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:17 AM
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2K05GT

(Lutz says the Top camaro will be better quality than the Mustang GT
lol i could have told you that. I work at a Ford dealership and i see the new GTs everyday and im not impressed at all. the speakers in the doors look goofy.. its exhaust is too quiet (even the roushes are hushed) Honestly the new Bullitt is nothing to brag about. My guess is that if people want real performance they will go with aftermarket mustangs (roush etc.) and those are either expensive or nothing to brag about really. A base V8 Camaro with close to or more horsepower than some of those cars that costs less will be more appealing to customers. My guess is that the Camaro will be the happy medium between base GTs and Roush/Shelby/Saleen mustangs and even the Corvette. I mean you kno the saying the Camaro is the poor mans Corvette.

Old 04-08-2008, 06:24 AM

I have been folllowing this closely and the Camaro looks like it will be offered in 3 different platforms,
Base V6 around 240-250hp (Cost slighly more than the V6 Mustang)
Performance V6 (Could be Turbo) 300-320hp (just underthe GT's Price)
Top Model V8 (385-400hp) L76 AFM Most likley 36,000 car (Lutz says the Top camaro will be better quality than the Mustang GT

If anybody thought that it was possible to price a Camaro around theMustang, with an "upscale" interior, and an extremely advanced IRS system....they're nuts.
If the V8 is not priced at the same level of the Mustang base V8GT, it will fail miserably. A supercharged V6 priced higher than a GT is not going to make anyone happy...

Old 04-08-2008, 04:03 PM

there is no way the V8 Camaro will cost the same as a Mustang, It will have more HP, Better handling (4 link IRS) Better Interior, those 3 things alone scream Mo Money. The Camaro will Fail Miserbly if GM Does not make any Money with it... Ford Skimped and cheapend out on the Mustang, using a Live Rear, cheap plastic interior, Crappy stereo, low HP engine?
Dude I own one and I can tell you the interior is on the cheap side. GM is not going cheap on the Camaro interior, already there are spy pictures out they show high quality interior, nice Fit and Trim,
cool guages on the center console, center cluster Info screen that will display Temp, Tire Pressure, all fluid levels, running light functions (burnt out or not) all the same options that are current in the Cadilac CTS. This will be a refined Camaro. Thats Why I have my Deposit over at the Chevy Dealer.
But Then again I am 45 and can own several cars.

HP will dictate price...
Mustang GT (300HP)-27K
Charger R/T (345HP)- 33K
Pontiac G8 GT (360hp)- 34K
Camaro (SS or Z-28)(365-425HP) 36K-38K
Charger SRT (425hp)- 38K
Challanger SRT (430hp)- 39K
Shelby GT500 (500HP) - 43K

Old 04-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Overdrive Member

You work at a FORD dealership?! Blasphemer! You must quit immediately and apply at GM/Chevrolet! ;-)

Also, I would say the new Camaro will be pretty good even in contrast with a 'Vette, minus some performance tweeks and RWHP... I am really looking forward to the IRS system! 'bout time!

ORIGINAL: Spartan66

(Lutz says the Top camaro will be better quality than the Mustang GT
lol i could have told you that. I work at a Ford dealership and i see the new GTs everyday and im not impressed at all. the speakers in the doors look goofy.. its exhaust is too quiet (even the roushes are hushed) Honestly the new Bullitt is nothing to brag about. My guess is that if people want real performance they will go with aftermarket mustangs (roush etc.) and those are either expensive or nothing to brag about really. A base V8 Camaro with close to or more horsepower than some of those cars that costs less will be more appealing to customers. My guess is that the Camaro will be the happy medium between base GTs and Roush/Shelby/Saleen mustangs and even the Corvette. I mean you kno the saying the Camaro is the poor mans Corvette.

Quick Reply: How much will the Camaro cost?