Hey guys, got some questions about my first potential car

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Default Hey guys, got some questions about my first potential car

As the title says, I am about to get my license (6 months) and have been considering cars. I've always been attracted to sportier cars, and so the 2010 Camaro caught my eye right away. Yes, yes, I know i'm lucky to be able to consider getting it as my first car. But, with the ~4000lb chassis, long and wide body, 5 star safety ratings (what the dealer told me) I was able to convince my parents. And as a truely responsible teenager, I think deserve something nice.

Anyway, I went to the dealer today and looked at the only one they had in stock, and I loved it. Everything about it was impeccable, but I had one concern. Even though I am about 6 feet tall, I felt the front window was a bit narrow (as in rectangular), and made it hard to see the front of the car, and possibly road. Raising the seat made it slightly better, but then my head hit the ceiling.

So my question to all the 2010 camaro owners is, does the front window bother you because of the size? Do you notice it is hard to see the hood/road? And lastly, since the hood is so long, can it get hard to judge the cars position when parking?

Thanks guys for all of the help.

Old 05-26-2009, 07:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

First off,

Lucky SOB.

Second, in regards to eye sight,

welcome to driving a Camaro

it was weird for me at first, getting used to sight out of my '95 in comparison to four door cars, but you do get used to it, and no parking has not been a problem.

But from what i've seen in the new one, the sighting is slightly better, but i drive my '95 and can't see everything in front of me like a van or four door (and i'm 6ft 2in)

oh, and just to re-state, lucky SOB

Old 05-26-2009, 09:57 PM
3rd Gear Member

Ya, X2 to the Lucky SOB statement.

You'll adapt as you continue to drive and gain experience. I'm sure you'll be just fine.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 PM
1st Gear Member

Yeah, when I first drove my '00 Camaro (after only driving sedans and SUVs) I was like "whoa how do you see out of here?" I got used to it right away though.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:31 PM
1st Gear Member

I'm 21 and just ordered my 2SS RS today...I've been driving an '05 Mustang V6 since I was a Senior in high school and I know what you mean about the low windows and long hood...Oh and I am 6'1''...if that helps...

Guys please forgive me for comparing the 2 (an '05 stang and new camaro SS) because the SS (and new camaro in all versions) kicks the crap out of the stang in styling and obviously power and torque!! (in both the v6 and v8 versions hahaha)...but the long hood and low windows are something that is common between the two...

before the 'stang i drove a '97 Explorer V8 that had a short hood and big windows and was obviously higher up, so it did take some time to adjust to the long hood and low windows and c pillar blindspots you have to adjust to, but as a mature, alert, and obviously somewhat thrill-seeking teenager (since you are looking toward the new camaro i assume that we all have that at least slight thrill-seeking nature in us lol) you'll be able to easily adjust to the camaro's long hood, short windows and don't forget about the c pillar blind spots that are inherent in these cars because as long as you're alert and mature handling these kind of cars is fairly easy...

just never underestimate the car...even in the V6 'stang i underestimated it a few times after quite a few performance mods i almost wrecked when someone wanted to race me...and believe me when you underestimate these kind of cars it's not only you that can be affected if you end up wrecking into some arbitrary bystander or car...

luckily it never happened to me but i've learned my lesson and as a result of my car i've matured...ha ha crazy isn't it? so that's why i ordered my 2010 SS today because i think i'm finally ready to handle it (AND BECAUSE THEY'RE ABSOLUTELY SWEET!!! hahaha) ....to be honest i don't think i could have handled this car a few years ago...

but congrats if you do get the camaro!!! they are sweet cars!!

Old 05-27-2009, 07:00 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.
Unfortunately, all my parents had to see was this review from this popular car review site -

Unfortunately, the 2010 Chevy Camaro suffers from one major safety flaw: visibility. Reviews read by TheCarConnection.com point out that styling takes precedence over driver visibility in some cases, which leads to what Car and Driver terms the "horrendous vision out the rear." Automobile Magazine also acknowledges that "there's a huge blind spot in the C-pillar," and "the view out the front is like looking through a mail slot." These issues could potentially lead to some serious run-ins on the road, but that is the price one pays for a car as stunning as the 2010 Chevy Camaro.

So they've completely crossed it off the list. On to my search for a new car. Once again thanks for all of the help.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Third Generation Moderator
March 2010 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

This is all true. It's like an SUV with the seats dropped six inches. Horrible.

You'll appreciate it more when you can buy it yourself, anyway.

As far as a first car, I've always said the best choice you can make is the car you won't miss when it's gone. A lot of drivers wreck a car in their first year of driving. I did, an '86 Taurus wagon, and I was damn glad I killed that and not the IROC-Z.

If safety is your parents' biggest concern, see if you can get them to go for one of those '80s full-size sedans, like a Crown Vic, Caprice, or a New Yorker. Something like that ought to appeal to them, and they are nice cars, even if they're not at all sporty.

Last edited by Saint Ebony; 05-27-2009 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:48 PM

Im 6'5 and im trying to figure out how you hit your head on the ceiling because I havent hit mines yet. Then again my seat is as low as can be and my head is about an inch away from the ceiling. But your right about not being able to see the front, there's really not much you can do about it. I wouldn't say it bother me but it was deffinately something new to me. I got used to it after 2 days of driving.