Help!! Dealership is giving me BS run around....

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Exclamation Help!! Dealership is giving me BS run around....

Hello All!

I regret that my first post on here has to be asking for help but for those of you who are much wiser than I am, I need your expertise....

I have a 2010 Camaro SS that I bought brand new from the dealership on May 13th, 2011....

The car has just under 1500 miles on it now. I have not driven the car hard and yesterday while driving white(ish) smoke started POURING out of my exhaust. I had it towed to the dealership and they called me today to tell me that it had "over aggressive lifters". In talking with 2 different, very mechanically inclined friends of mine, both started laughing at the "over agressive lifters" term, saying there is no such thing. So I wanted to get the opinion from some Camaro enthusiasts. I have a video of the smoke coming out of the exhaust but I can't figure out how to upload it....

There is another issue I had with the car shaking at idle. I brought it back to the dealership and they told me it was the fuel tank transferring gas from one tank to another. Now I may not be able to take this car apart and put it back together, but I have enough sense to know that the car shaking at idle was not fuel being transferred from one tank to another. The car only does it at a standstill, how much gas could possibly be transfered to make the car shake when I'm at a standstill? Also, the RPM's would drop when the shake occured, again a fuel tank wouldn't mess with the RPM's to my knowledge...

Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Shauna

Old 06-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Tech Droid

Better find another dealer, and demand to talk to the service manager, and write the dealership manager a letter that you intend to sue if the car isn't fixed.
Billowing white smoke out of the exhaust is an indication that coolant is getting into the combustion chamber, usually a gasket problem, but could also be due to a cracked head or block.
There is no such thing as an agressive lifter, just tell the dealer to fix the car or else.
Shaking at idle is usually caused by misfire, which is probably caused by the white smoke coming out of the exhaust.
A cold car will normally blow some steam (condensation) out of the exhaust, but it will stop once the exhaust system has warmed up.

Good luck. You could aso call GM customer service, and check on the lemon laws, if car can't be fixed within a certain amount of time, you are entitled to another new car.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 PM

Thanks Pete! ) I'll let ya all know how it is resolved....I'm thinking I should have kept my Mustang GT.....j/k

Old 06-10-2011, 05:27 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

All the issues should be covered under manufacture warranty. 36k or 3 years no excuse as long as all the car is stock.

And keeping the Mustang GT is fail.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Official GM Representitive

SSPrincess, let us know how it goes with your dealer. I hope they're able to take care of you but if not I can try and step in for you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service

Old 06-12-2011, 01:01 AM

Thanks. I will be back at the dealership on Monday....I'll let you know how it goes.

Old 06-15-2011, 04:17 PM

Good to hear it Princess. I hope everything goes well!

Old 06-16-2011, 08:41 PM

Well the dealership replaced the lifters on the car, no more white smoke billowing from the exhaust. BUT the car IS still shaking at idle, a bit more frequently than before I took it back to the dealership so the lifters didn't fix that problem. I'm metting with a friend later tonight who also has the 2010 Camaro SS. He's bringing his SS so that I can sit in his car to see how it idles (his is currently stock at the moment too). Of course the dealership service manager said it idle's like any Camaro that he has sat in. Only thing is it does not idle like the 2 different ones that I test drove. If his car idle's differently than mine I'm heading back to the dealership again.....Anyone possibly have any other insights into this? Thanks!
~SS

Old 06-16-2011, 09:54 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

Ok, so my question is, what kind of car did you have before you bought the Camaro?? If you had something non-V8 I know exactly what it might be. The Camaro when I first drove it, (I work for a shop that does repair on vehicles so rentals come and go frequent), it did seem a bit shaky and I thought it was abnormal. Then I drove a couple other SS Camaros and they felt exactly the same. So we, (the shop mechanic and I), inspected the motor mounts and they do not allow a lot of play from the factory and I concluded that the problem was just that. My advice is: it is a V8, driving a tuned V8 for a couple of years with a lopey idle (had a mild modded Iroc before), gave me a bit of experience and tolerance towards the new cars. They run smoother but the Camaro had a bit of shake but it is normal. If you hear no knocking, and there is no check engine light, then the motor is fine.

My little 2.0 4cylinder from time to time shakes but goes away once it warms up. Must be a new GM thing....

Old 06-18-2011, 12:55 PM

SSPrincess, I'm glad to hear you got all fixed up. As for the rough idle you may want to take SprSSBalt's advice and go test drive a few more SS Camaro's and see if they don't drive the same as your vehicle. That way you could make sure that what you're feeling is either normal or abnormal. I hope that helps you.

Quick Reply: Help!! Dealership is giving me BS run around....