2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GM Runaround!

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 11:01 AM
Default GM Runaround!

Well my 2010 SS2 has been in the shop for a month now with transmission problems and I'm getting the gm runaround. The mechanic found metal in the transmission and has requested a new one but GM has requested the mechanic to tear into it deeper and estimated a repair cost. 1600 miles on the car and I wish I would have stuck with the 05 GTO I traded off!

Old 09-04-2010, 12:14 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I never would have sold my GTO unless it was for a better GTO. Sorry to hear about your problems

Old 09-07-2010, 09:17 AM
Overdrive Member

Well, they have to perform a root cause analysis, to understand the problem and prevent it in the future.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:06 PM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

What was the original problem? Just wondering.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:04 PM

1 month and 6 days now and the dealer still has my car, they are now telling me that the parts are on back order and they dont know when I will get my car back! 9 new cars in the last 20 years and this is the first time I had to take any of them in for warranty work! The original problem - the car wouldnt go into 2nd gear while in motion (synkro) 8 or those 9 new cars were Pontiacs!

Old 09-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Overdrive Member

I think a lot of parts from a LOT of different companies are experiencing long delays due the economy -- the US is in a depression. I am still waiting for my 4th Gen. Bilstein shocks ordered 7/1/10, Bilstein had part supplier problems too!!

I would phone GM and escalate the matter, that is unfortunate on a pretty new car.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 AM

Indiana Lemon law IC24-5-13-15
Sec. 15.
  1. A reasonable number of attempts is considered to have been undertaken to correct a nonconformity if:
    1. the nonconformity has been subject to repair at least four (4) times by the manufacturer or its agents or authorized dealers, but the nonconformity continues to exist; or
    2. the vehicle is out of service by reason of repair of any nonconformity for a cumulative total of at least thirty (30) business days, and the nonconformity continues to exist.
  2. The thirty (30) business day period in subsection (a)(2) shall be extended by any period of time during which repair services are not available as a direct result of a strike. The manufacturer, its agent, or authorized dealer shall provide or make provision for the free use of a vehicle to any buyer whose vehicle is out of service by reason of repair during a strike.
  3. The burden is on the manufacturer to show that the reason for an extension under subsection (b) was the direct cause for the failure of the manufacturer, its agent, or authorized dealer to cure any nonconformity during the time of the event.

Old 09-10-2010, 07:27 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by libertyforall1776
Well, they have to perform a root cause analysis, to understand the problem and prevent it in the future.
Root cause analysis are not done in the field. If GM was doing that they would have requested the trans in its complete form for disassembly at their tech center. Techs are not trained well enough to do a RCA.

In this case I would say there is a shortage of these transmissions and it is so common an issue GM is working on a fix.

This is the risk of buying the latest and greatest. First years of a new design are historically problematic. The 2010 Camaro has been pretty good compared to some of the pigs in the past.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:09 AM
May 2010 ROTM Winner
ROTM Winner's Club

I say pursue the lemon law if you can, I had a 99 Durango that gave us problems for the first few years. I delt with it like a dummy.

Even if they fix it eventually, you will have that sour feeling toward the car.

Old 09-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Overdrive Member

GM does send people out sometimes -- I met one such retired GM guy at a dealership 2010 Camaro unveiling who used to do exactly that... Really interesting to talk to the guy.

I think you're right about the other points, and it's probably the case here.

Originally Posted by Gorn
Root cause analysis are not done in the field. If GM was doing that they would have requested the trans in its complete form for disassembly at their tech center. Techs are not trained well enough to do a RCA.

In this case I would say there is a shortage of these transmissions and it is so common an issue GM is working on a fix.

This is the risk of buying the latest and greatest. First years of a new design are historically problematic. The 2010 Camaro has been pretty good compared to some of the pigs in the past.