Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Wasn't Chevy offering a free toaster if you bought a new Camaro?

Old 03-25-2010, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Chevelle Man
and getting one on a first year model is not a bad call either...but some people just know better.

EXACTLY!!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:42 AM

I thought they were a waste until my wife 07 envoy needed a fuel gauge sending unit and soem sort of steering bracket. Deal er quoted me $900 to repair that and the Local guy quoted $750. Still nto a great bargin when the parts alone are $600.

Apparently timing is the key. You need to buy the ext warr before your out of the factory warranty. GM wont even offer one to me now

Old 03-28-2010, 07:40 AM
4th Gear Member

Food for thought: What is one of the most troubled service industries in todays Economy????

Answer: Companies that sell extended auto service plans. Many are going OUT of BUSINESS abrupty with NO refunds. Example....AUTO ONE and is your next or will it be around when you need to use it???

Old 03-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Cool

I was happy with the deal I got until the I found out I could have gotten a toaster.

I think the "ease of mind" is worth the extra $10 on the payment and having a extended warranty and you all bring up some interesting points.

How much money is the dealer making when they sell a extended warranty?

Old 03-29-2010, 03:50 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I ve worked at Bill Heard Chevrolet in Union City Ga before they closed down. Ive seen how the service advisors will stab each other in the back trying to sell those warranties. The dealers do get a percentage when one is sold, but ive also seen some customers walk out with their feelings hurt even when they had warranties to cover various maintenance jobs. Keep in mind service advisors and dealers are generally interested in one primary thing, $$$... I am all for extended warranties, but the best warranty guaranteed is 'Doing your homework'...

Old 03-29-2010, 04:56 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by Simbad66
How much money is the dealer making when they sell a extended warranty?
An extended warranty is nothing more than an insurance policy. They get a sales commission.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:13 PM
November 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by blackz87
Food for thought: What is one of the most troubled service industries in todays Economy????

Answer: Companies that sell extended auto service plans. Many are going OUT of BUSINESS abrupty with NO refunds. Example....AUTO ONE and is your next or will it be around when you need to use it???
and lets not forget the auto industry

Old 03-30-2010, 07:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Take your 1700 for extended warranty and buy Citigroup and double your money when your factory warranty runs out. You will have 3,400 for repairs. Until you spend the entire cost on repairs you have no benefit. They are only a good idea for seller. That's why the dealerships push them so much. All profit.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:05 PM

I opted for the extended warranty just because it's a first year model, and because I put over 60 miles a day on it commuting. I got 5 yr/100K. And with the shop labor rates as high as they are, and because I'm not sure what kind of quality I'm going to get from a Chevy (never owned one), it was a no brainer for me.

Quick Reply: Extended Warranty?