2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 Camaro RS - iPod Won't Play (indexing)

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Default 2010 Camaro RS - iPod Won't Play (indexing)

I hope you can help me. I have a friend who just bought a 2010 Camaro RS.
Gorgeous Beast of a car... I'm jealous!
Anyway, he has an older 2nd generation iPod (40GB) with a little over 4,000 MP3s on it. When he plugs it in to the USB port, the stereo reads "Indexing" and the iPod reads "Do Not Disconnect".

The iPod reading "Do Not Disconnect" is normal. They always say this when you plug them into anything using the USB cable.

What is the stereo doing? What does "Indexing" mean? Is this older iPod compatible or does he need to buy a new one? The stereos in the new Camaros are iPod compatible - right?

What are we doing wrong?
Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Eurythmian; 08-02-2009 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:06 PM
1st Gear Member

It is Ipod compatible. If he hasn't updated the software on the Ipod in a long time (more than 3 or 4 months) then that could be the problem. Do the latest update from his Itunes. If that doesn't do it tell him to take it back to the dealer to have it taken care of.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:33 PM

I don't want to sound stupid... but take what back to the dealer... the car or iPod?
I'm guessing the car.

I loaded all this music to his iPod and did the latest software update last week - so his software is up to date.
It's formated for Windows and I used my Mac to load all the music - no problems reading the iPod on my Mac or a PC.

My thoughts are because it's a 2nd generation iPod, it's too old and the Camaro's sound system isn't design for the older versions.

His iPod plays everything just fine... I had it connected to my car stereo - I joked with him that he shoulda bought a FORD. LOL
This is such a bummer - He is in Illinois and I am in Texas. Best friends since high school.
So this whole thing has been a pain in the rear...

Can anyone tell me what "Indexing" means? I'm guessing his manual doesn't say anything about "Indexing".
All he has told me is the manual says something about not being able to read all versions of iPod.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by Eurythmian; 08-03-2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:30 PM

OK, my friend has decided to go buy a new iPod. Will the New 120GB iPod Classic work with his sound system?

He will have about 4,250 songs on it.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:03 AM
1st Gear Member

In general usage indexing means creating a searchable database of your files, or an "index". Computers index your files so that you can easily search for them (on Windows Vista the start menu search, on Macs the Spotlight search in the upper right corner).

But I don't know if this is exactly what the Camaro's audio system is doing, it could be using the word "indexing" in a different way. If the old iPod works fine otherwise, I would wait and see if it works when (or if) it finishes indexing before buying a new one.

Old 08-11-2009, 01:38 PM

I told him to go ahead and buy the new iPod Classic and load a few (5) songs to it. Plug it in and see if it works.

If it doesn't, return it and take the car back to the dealer to see if they can find out what the problem is.