2010+ General
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 2SS 6M Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:43 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 2010 2SS 6M Rough Idle

It's Thursday, January 13th, 2011. I just bought a previously owned, certified, Camaro. I don't know if I have an issue and I did search under "rough idle" before I started this thread.

The "symptoms" are that the idle, cold or at operating temperature, is rough enough to cause me to be gently rocked in the driver's seat. If I wasn't so new to this car, I'd say it had a broken motor mount. In all other respects, as far as I can tell, the car is operating normally; that is, it's awesome!

Any input you might have for me will be appreciated.

Old 01-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Tech Droid

Don't mess with it, take to a Chevy dealer as it should still be under warranty.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:41 PM
In the Staging Lanes

z28pete:

I just spoke with the previous owner who bought it new. He thinks that because the car has been sitting on the dealer's lot since last September and the dealer has probably been feeding it something other than premium gasoline, that that is the reason for the rough idle. I'm thinking if he's right, it should smooth out as I'm using premium 92 Octane fuel.

If it doesn't smooth out in a reasonable time, I'll follow your advice because, as you said, it's still on warranty and GM should make it right.

Old 01-15-2011, 10:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Just want to update my original entry. This car sat on the Chevy dealer's used car lot for 4 months. I don't know if that would have anything to do with my issues, assuming they are issues at all.

When starting cold, the idle is at 1,000 rpms. When warmed, the tach shows idle speed around 500rpm. That seems sort of low. Most engines on which I've bothered to note the idle rpms idle at around 700 to 800 rpms. Is 500 rpm normal?

The idle has smoothed out some since my first post. However, the rocking I mentioned still occurs intermittently. It's accompanied by a slight up tick on the tach needle.

Another symptom I neglected to mention is that when I'm in a relatively low gear, 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, and let up off the throttle, the exhaust crackles intermittently.

I've got an appointment to take it into the dealer on Tuesday, January 18th. However if anyone has any information, insight, or an educated guess about this, I'd sure welcome your posts.

Last edited by Spok; 01-17-2011 at 03:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:41 AM
4th Gear Member

1. This is one of those posts that can easily be resolved in the tech section.

2. The vehicle is under warranty so just take it in. When I first start my LS1 TA, my idle is roughly 1000 rpm and goes down to 600ish once it warms up (dependant of the temp outside).

3. What do you mean by the exhaust crackles?

Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

looks like you guys have this one so i moved it back to 5th gen. still getting the feel of what goes in the ask gm section.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:13 PM
In the Staging Lanes

End of story: I took the car in to the dealer with the complaints I posted earlier. The rough idle was solved when the tech did an "idle relearn procedure." The idle is now steady at 600 rpm. As to the crackling/popping sounds that come out of the exhaust when letting off the throttle in a low gear, the tech noted this as normal for the car. Crackling and popping might not be the best description. How about burbbling?

Anyway, I'm a happy Camaro camper now.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:36 PM
NOOB
January 2012 ROTM
Technical User
ROTM Winner's Club

I reread this and thought, "this is all common GM product problems". And GM should have warranteed everything anyways. But its good that it was taken care of no problem and welcome abroad the Camaro train. I know I am not an owner of a 5th gen but I have driven plenty and really satisfied with the performance for the money.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:32 PM
In the Staging Lanes

It appear the fix for the rough idle was only temporary. The next day it was back.

My question to anyone who will answer and drives a 2010 LS3 M6, does your car idle smoothly or does it shake intermittently? When it does shake, mine feels as though it has a special, mild racing cam installed?

Old 01-25-2011, 08:00 PM

I have a 2010 SS2/RS LS3 M6 that is normal operation of the car... Feels like your sitting on a rocket....it's great....

Quick Reply: 2010 2SS 6M Rough Idle