LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

ok i got the optispark, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 09:24 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default ok i got the optispark, what next?

so i just recieved the optipark. i know i have to pull the radiator, fans, water pump, harmonic balancer, and maybe move the air pump. my question is when i take off the old optispark should i mark it or something like the old distributors? and will it need to have the timing done after i put the new one on? also any little tricks i should know?? thanks

Old 03-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Senior Administrator
February 2012 ROTM
May 2012 ROTM

Hi White94..

I replaced an opti in a 95 formula firebird a while ago...

I remember unbolting the fans and pushing them down out of the way, removing the water pump and harmonic balancer, belt and air intake ducting. thats all i recall removing.

the distributor can only go on one way from what i remember so there wasnt a need to mark it or re time it afterwards.

Good luck!

Old 03-27-2010, 03:50 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

dont have to remove the radiator. the fans will come off by lifting them up and then pull away from the radiator and then drop it down. if your water pump is old u should replace it too, if it goes bad and leaks on the opti it can ruin it. u may have to remove the air pump on the 94 but i dont think so, i did not on my 93. other than that i think u got it right.

Old 03-27-2010, 11:37 AM
2nd Gear member

I just finished my '94 last weekend.
The fans, waterpump and harmonic balancer all need to be removed. The air pump needs to be unbolted and moved out of the way.
The opti can only go on one way, so there is no need to mark it or anything when removing. There is no external timing adjustment. Just put it on and go.
You might as well replace all the plugs and wires while in there. I found that removing the alternator made getting the #2 plug out and back in much easier.
I highly recommend replacing the waterpump while you have it all apart. As Craby said, if your old pump leaks it can damage your new opti.

BTW - I have a white '94 Z28 also. Cool cars!

Old 03-27-2010, 04:28 PM
4th Gear Member

it's a 94 and "you're going in" so you may as well do it right

first, like everyone else has said, replace thw waterpump

next

replace the oil seals. Allow me to repeat that, replace the oil seals

Or, I can read the posts now in 4-6 months..............hi guys, I replaced my optipsark about xx months ago and now I see a bit of oil drips on the driveway, or, hi guys, i replaced my optispark xx months ago and now the car is sputtering and backfiring. I did notice that there is coolant leaking near it, could that have killed my expensive optispark? Should I have replaced the waterpump and oil seals when i did the optispark the first time? Am i now an experienced lad who will also advise people here to replace the waterpump and oil seals if they don't know when they were last done................

I think you get my drift

cheers

Old 03-27-2010, 04:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

^ That was a "drift"? Sounded more like a ball-peen hammer to the forehead!
Before you do replace the seals, read this...https://camaroforums.com/forum/lt1-lt4-tech-9/installing-water-pump-drive-seal-43601/

Old 03-27-2010, 06:36 PM
2nd Gear member

agreed with all.lol

Old 03-27-2010, 10:59 PM
In the Staging Lanes

I will reiterate one thing that Craby said and add two other considerations.

First, don't remove the radiator to replace the Opti unless you enjoy creating unnecessary work for yourself.

Second, since you have a '94 Camaro, you may want to consider venting the Opti if you didn't buy a vented one. You may also want to use thread lock on the Opti screws and oil/heat resistant RTV gasket maker to seal the Opti and prevent water from getting inside of it.

How to vent your Opti:
http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/16758/index.html

Vacuum Harness:
http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddeta...?prod=12555323

Last of all, make sure you mount the new Opti correctly. The Opti only mounts one way because the splined shaft is keyed to mate to the camshaft timing gear. If the notch in the splined shaft is turned to the correct position, the Opti will easily slide on until the Opti's ears are flush against the timing cover. Since the Opti can only mount one way, you are probably wondering what could go wrong then. Locating the right position of the notch in the splined shaft can be a pain if you don't use the old Opti as a guide. This can result in a continuous cycle of removing the Opti, turning the shaft, trying to slide the Opti back on, being unable to slide it on, removing the Opti, turning the shaft, and so on. Then you are in danger of forcing the Opti on in the wrong position as the frustration builds. However, all of this can be avoided by turning the notch in the new Opti to match the position of the notch in the old Opti. If you have already moved the position of the notch in the old Opti, you can relocate the correct position by removing the cover in the old Opti and turning the rotor until the old Opti slides on. Then you can turn the shaft in the new Opti to match the position of the shaft in the old Opti.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:39 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Mr_Exacto
I will reiterate one thing that Craby said and add two other considerations.

First, don't remove the radiator to replace the Opti unless you enjoy creating unnecessary work for yourself.

Second, since you have a '94 Camaro, you may want to consider venting the Opti if you didn't buy a vented one. You may also want to use thread lock on the Opti screws and oil/heat resistant RTV gasket maker to seal the Opti and prevent water from getting inside of it.

How to vent your Opti:
http://www.corvettefever.com/howto/16758/index.html

Vacuum Harness:
http://www.rmsautoparts.com/proddeta...?prod=12555323

Last of all, make sure you mount the new Opti correctly. The Opti only mounts one way because the splined shaft is keyed to mate to the camshaft timing gear. If the notch in the splined shaft is turned to the correct position, the Opti will easily slide on until the Opti's ears are flush against the timing cover. Since the Opti can only mount one way, you are probably wondering what could go wrong then. Locating the right position of the notch in the splined shaft can be a pain if you don't use the old Opti as a guide. This can result in a continuous cycle of removing the Opti, turning the shaft, trying to slide the Opti back on, being unable to slide it on, removing the Opti, turning the shaft, and so on. Then you are in danger of forcing the Opti on in the wrong position as the frustration builds. However, all of this can be avoided by turning the notch in the new Opti to match the position of the notch in the old Opti. If you have already moved the position of the notch in the old Opti, you can relocate the correct position by removing the cover in the old Opti and turning the rotor until the old Opti slides on. Then you can turn the shaft in the new Opti to match the position of the shaft in the old Opti.
ok ive heard about putting RTV gasket maker to seal the opti. but exactly what part should i put it on?? also how will i tell if the shaft is lined up just right?

thanks for your responses everyone!

Old 03-29-2010, 10:15 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

on the big o ring. best way to line the opti up is to take the cap off so u can use the rotor to turn it that little bit it always seems to need. i couldnt find the dang tool to get the cap off the one i just did and had to do the mulit install drill. line it up and try, line it up and try, etc... if u have the one with the shaft with the gears on it then there is a spot on the shaft without a gear. u need to line up the missing gear spots on the cam with the missing gear spot on the opti shaft. if u have the newer style opti with the pin that comes out of the cam then u line up the slot that is a little longer hole than the rest with the pin so it goes in that slot.

Quick Reply: ok i got the optispark, what next?