LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

Fpr

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 10:40 PM
2nd Gear member
Default Fpr

Ok, I have went thru everything on my Z28, and I finally came across an article about bad FPR and I have every issue they discussed....So whats a good one to replace mine with, mines an accel.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:01 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i went through a few different kinds before settling for this one TPiS, Inc. had no problems with it

Old 07-29-2012, 11:19 PM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by craby
i went through a few different kinds before settling for this one TPiS, Inc. had no problems with it
Thanks. Here is what I read for some Symptoms of a bad regulator, see you you agree;

Car turns over more than normal to start up

Low fuel pressure reading with flooding,

Flooding

Blackened S. plugs

gas in vac. line

With engine and switch off, pressure doesnt hold.

I have every Symptoms but the vaccum line. 1st time I fire it up for the day, it will spin over several time then fire up then shut off, then It will fire up on the 1st rotation and be fine...
My FP gauge shows 25-30 lbs running and as soon as I shut it of it drops to nothing fast.

Ive replaced everything except the regulator.....so does that sound like the issue?

Old 07-30-2012, 01:55 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

mine was doing the drop to 0 in less than a minute deal, i went through several regulators, to test to make sure it wasnt the fuel pump i used a pair of vice grips and some card board to block the return line. double folded the cardboard over the return line to protect it and used some wide flat vice grips to clamp it off. then pressured up the system using the jumper wire and watching the gauge to make sure i didnt over pressure it. i slid the fuel line sleeve down to expose fresh (i figured more flexable) fuel line by the firewall. pressure would hold untill the vice grips where released. tried a holley, accell, summit and stock, tpis was the first one to work right. now it holds the pressure for a while, still drops but holds for a couple hours.

Last edited by craby; 07-30-2012 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:00 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

my stock setup accually ran better with the pressure set low, like 34-37

Old 07-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Tech Droid

Originally Posted by numskull223
Thanks. Here is what I read for some Symptoms of a bad regulator, see you you agree;

Car turns over more than normal to start up

Low fuel pressure reading with flooding,

Flooding

Blackened S. plugs

gas in vac. line

With engine and switch off, pressure doesnt hold.

I have every Symptoms but the vaccum line. 1st time I fire it up for the day, it will spin over several time then fire up then shut off, then It will fire up on the 1st rotation and be fine...
My FP gauge shows 25-30 lbs running and as soon as I shut it of it drops to nothing fast.

Ive replaced everything except the regulator.....so does that sound like the issue?
25 to 30 PSI while running is about 10 PSI too low, and the fuel pressure should drop slowly when the engine is shut off. It could be a defective check valve in the pump, a bad regulator, or a leaky injector. Try priming the pump in the morning by turning the key on & off several times before attempting to start. If now the engine starts right up and keeps running, it is a sure indication that there is an internal fuel leak.

Old 07-31-2012, 12:42 AM
2nd Gear member

Originally Posted by z28pete
25 to 30 PSI while running is about 10 PSI too low, and the fuel pressure should drop slowly when the engine is shut off. It could be a defective check valve in the pump, a bad regulator, or a leaky injector. Try priming the pump in the morning by turning the key on & off several times before attempting to start. If now the engine starts right up and keeps running, it is a sure indication that there is an internal fuel leak.
Will do.

But I have already had the injectors serviced, so I know its not that...fuel pump....Well I have 2 bad there...lol One only runs when the nos is active tho. but I have the flooding issue tho. I had a guy look at my tune and data logs and he said as far as the tune Im good, but its rich for sure....Ive replaced vac hose, checked everything for leaks, and nothing.....This is that last thing I could come up with.....But it runs little a beast...Scare my brother in it today...lol

Old 07-31-2012, 08:36 PM
2nd Gear member

Just thinking about something. Do i have to use the LT1 fpr. can I just use a universal fpr for fuel injection?

Old 07-31-2012, 09:00 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

to fit without modifications yes you need to use one for 94-97 lt1.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:01 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

woh,,, your sig is there, then its not