LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

95 lt1 stalling out in fog/mist

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 08:22 AM
In the Staging Lanes
Default 95 lt1 stalling out in fog/water vapor mornings

Got a 95 lt1 with 155k miles. New lt1 was put it in 25k miles ago.

I'm having a problem with the car running in the morning time in which there is fog/mist. Today I woke up at 7:30, looked outside and thought it was snowing (there was so much fog you couldn't see 15 feet in front of you).

Go out to my camaro, it does start up, then 3-5 seconds later it died and "check gauges" will light up and remain on the dash until I started the car again. It kept doing this, even after i gave it a little gas. After 5-7 tries the car drove good without shutting off.

I'm positive this is an issue with fog/mist/water vapor because the only times this would happen is when there was alot of water vapor/mist/fog out in the morning, never had it go crazy like this on an average morning. Car will start fine in rain.

What could be the problem??

Last edited by wildcat123; 09-21-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Overdrive Member
Technical User

its a long shot but is it possible you dont have an air filter? if its really wet out i would assume the car could suck in enough vapor to kill the engine. either that or you have a loose electrical connection and vapor is getting in there and causing no connection? this ones odd.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:54 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by BasicConcepts
its a long shot but is it possible you dont have an air filter? if its really wet out i would assume the car could suck in enough vapor to kill the engine. either that or you have a loose electrical connection and vapor is getting in there and causing no connection? this ones odd.
I have the rk sport ram air hood with the filter right under the scoop

Old 09-21-2012, 08:56 AM
3rd Gear Member

Yes it is odd, is the air cleaner open to the air? Could it be getting damp or wet and choking some air flow off or even sucking water into the engine.

Last edited by Edwardgp; 09-21-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

How old are the spark plug wires? Fog is heavy moisture in the air, and if you have a plug wire that's "leaking", power could be jumping to ground (moisture/water is a conductor). Next time, start the engine, pop the hood and stick your head in the engine compartment. Then look for sparks and listen for electrical cracking type noises. Doing this at night helps better to see sparks.

Last edited by Camaro 69; 09-21-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i think it may be an issue with the air intake. I have the ram air with a K&N filter right under it. The afternoon it was dying I checked under the filter and there wasn't alot of water, but some and a puddle of pink liquid (the air filter oils).

Could it be sucking water into the engine and thats what is causing it to die?

Ill have to check the spark plugs.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:02 PM
2nd Gear member

Due to my experiences, im led to believe it has to do with the optispark or harness. I would go ahead and replace both. Newegg.com has the cheapest price on he harness( i know its wierd but they have them). Also i'd go with the Advanced Auto lifetime warranty optispark, and rtv it and loctite the 2 little rotor bolts, and since u have to take the icm and coil off anyway, id go and buy some Arctic Silver 5 from radioshack and apply it to the icm, because the cooling compound on yours is probably old and flakey.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear member

idk if im right or they are, but idk if sucking a little mist or water into the engine would cause it to stall.

also when my car would die while i was driving it would sometimes start up for 2 seconds then die again.

Now that i've swapped the opti and harness and stuff ive been driving through rain/fog/mist, anything really, and its been good to me since.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear member

alsowhen it died the only light that was on was the check gauges light as well

Old 09-28-2012, 11:26 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

check the coil wire connections both ends. where is the gas gauge at,,, not running outa gas are ya,,, lol. failing ignition coil/control module will do the run not run thing. you should have a trouble code, better scann for trouble codes and see what comes up. very well could be the opti or opti wire harness.

Quick Reply: 95 lt1 stalling out in fog/mist