LT1/LT4 Tech 1993-1997

1993 Camaro Z28 engine diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Default 1993 Camaro Z28 engine diagnosis

Alright, I have a 1993 camaro z28 believed to still have the original motor to the car. Which would be an lt1

I am having a serious problem with the car and maybe someone else could give me some insight as to what the next step should be.

When starting the car, it starts up just fine, i can drive it around, i can leave it idling, however, there is a popping sound coming out of the exhaust that is itermittent. It doesnt happen consecutively but it does happen atleast once every 3-4 seconds.
Then, when i let it get hot for maybe 5-10 minutes, and then shut it off, the engine refuses to turn over and it makes a sort of scratch or screeching sound.

However, despite numerous attempts to get the engine to start nothing happened. After letting it sit for about 24 hours, i tried to start it up. And it started. Just fine, as if the day before there were no problems what so ever. I shut it off numerous times and started it back up with no troubles.
But, after letting it get hot once again (5-10 minutes) and shutting it off, it would refuse to start once more.
A mechanic at the dealership i work at is claiming that the engine could be entering a state of hydraulic lock. After doing some research i have seen multiple people talk about this occurring while the engine idles or is at speed, however i do not see anyone talking about this happening only when shutting it off and trying to start it again.
When i was driving the car, and when it was left idling, it would always make this pop sound out of the exhaust however, it would never just lock up and cause an engine failure.

The only other knowledge i can provide is that the car has 137,000 kms on it.
If anyone has had a similar issue and had it fixed, or perhaps knows how to give me some guidance on further figuring out this problem, please let me know.

I have also heard of these camaros being infamous for their opti spark going bad, but would this cause a no start only when the engine is shut off while hot and trying to start it again?
Any information would be helpful.

Old 06-14-2014, 10:59 AM
Tech Droid

When you have the no start, is the starter able to spin the engine, or just making noises?

Old 06-14-2014, 12:54 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

have you flashed the computer for trouble codes. number 23 here 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids

Old 06-15-2014, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by z28pete
When you have the no start, is the starter able to spin the engine, or just making noises?
When I have the no start it seems that the starter is spinning the drive belt but when its about to turn over I will here something kick back like a scratch/screech sound, I don't know if that's the starter making the sound because the engine wont start or if its something else. Sometimes it seems like the engine is about to start for a fraction of a second, but then it just gives up.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by craby
have you flashed the computer for trouble codes. number 23 here 4th Gen LT1 F-Body Tech Aids
No I haven't used the computer yet, I didn't see any lights on in the dash so I didn't think of it.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:14 AM
Tech Droid

You could remove the serpentine belt and see if the engine is able to start. If it starts OK without the belt, then one of the accessories is locking up and cause the belt to screech.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by z28pete
You could remove the serpentine belt and see if the engine is able to start. If it starts OK without the belt, then one of the accessories is locking up and cause the belt to screech.
But why would that be happening whenever the engine gets hot?
Im seriously in the dark here trying to figure this out.
Cause the no start only happens when the engine gets hot.
Otherwise I can successfully start it and shut it off over and over while its cold.

Old 06-15-2014, 11:34 AM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Are you able to post an audio/video if the noise?
Is your engine oil level up to where it wants to be (getting the obvious out of the way first).

Old 06-15-2014, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Are you able to post an audio/video if the noise?
Is your engine oil level up to where it wants to be (getting the obvious out of the way first).
I don't have any audio or video of it happening at the moment, but the engine oil seems fine when it had the no start issue. Its not under filled or over filled.
I don't know what to make of this at the moment until I start running tests.

Old 06-15-2014, 01:20 PM
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by superandy411
A mechanic at the dealership i work at is claiming that the engine could be entering a state of hydraulic lock.
I think he was referring to hyrdo-lock. That would however require the cylinders to be filled with water/anti-freeze. What's the longest you've run it?

Check codes and check spark at the coil when it goes to a no start condition. ICM and/or coil could be getting hot and causing a no start.

Quick Reply: 1993 Camaro Z28 engine diagnosis