Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

new car = new problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 03:07 AM
Default new car = new problems

I just bought a 97 z28... its pretty heavily modded.
It runs perfect, but im having some electrical problems that i think are related to the wiring of the stereo system.
It has an alpine head until and an alpine equilizer above it. A speaker amp, 6 or more speakers, i havent found them all yet, there are suppose to be ten but i dout it, A 10" sub with a amp.
Now for the problems.
When i shut off the car, the radio stays on... usually it should until you open either door.. but when i open the drivers door it doesnt go off... but when the passenger door is opened it shuts off. The unlock button on the drivers side only works when it wants to, but the passenger side works fine. Whenever i start the car the head unit resets. The trip odometer resets everytime i shut off the car. Now i took the head unit out... and there are wires everywhere... its crazy...
I believe the kid who had the car before me had a indash tv/dvd... there are still fuses and such in there for a tv.
I tried rewiring the head until because all the yellow wires were tapped together with the red power wires...
If they arent all together the whole stereo doesnt work and some of the lights on the dash and the odometer and such doesnt come up when the key is on. I hope i made enough sense haha. Kinda confused here.
Any ideas where to start? I dont want to pay 55$ an hour for the local stereo shop to try to figure it out.
The car supposibly has an alpine alarm system as well... i dont believe it works. any ideas?

Old 05-13-2006, 11:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default RE: new car = new problems

Well, as far as the radio not shutting off when opening the drivers door, does the dome light come on when you only open the drivers door? If not, the door pin is probably bad or not connected. The Headunit reseting when you start the car is because the yellow and red wires are togeather, yellow should be hot all the time and red should run with the switch. There are wires behind the radio for dimmer and illumination, whcih if hooked up wrong I have seen them do strange things to the dash and lights. Your best guess is to get a wiring diagram of the stereo connector and then verify everything is hooked up right. That will at least remove the stereo from the possibilites. Heres what the connector should be, I know it says only up to 95 but this is the one. The only difference would be if your car had the factory BOSE system. Now if the connector is gone you can still go by the wire colors and figure stuff out. Let me know if you got questions.

Brian

[IMG]local://upfiles/3079/FB2D35C5E30E4C1381F5AAB00ABA28C4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2006, 04:09 AM

Ya thanks for that, im going to rip it all apart again on monday, hopefully i'll figure it all out. No the dome light does not come on, so i'll have to check the door pin. Do they go bad often? Are they a pain to replace. Thanks for the help!!!

Old 05-14-2006, 12:51 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Depends on where the door pin is, some of them are built right into the door latch and some are on the door jam. THe door jam ones are fairly straight forward to change, the ones built into the latch may be a bugger, I havent messed with those at all. Also check the wires in the rubber boot going from the door to the car, you may have some broken wires in the boot, I have seen that happen before, that maybe why your locks only work sometimes.

Old 05-14-2006, 07:45 PM

K thanks for the help! Hopefully i can check all that out tomorrow!