Activity Stream: Show All | New Threads | New Posts | New Pictures | Popular Threads | Lonely Threads | Vendor Threads | New Picture Comments | New Profile Comments |
Search:  
Go Back   Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum > Fourth Generation (1993-2002) > 93-02 Drivetrain > 93-02 V6 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-09-2010, 08:10 PM
4th Gear Member
No cars in osduck5's garage, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tn
Posts: 1,646
iTrader: (0)
Default Symptoms of bad rack n pinon

Anyone know what symptoms you will have if the rack and pinion is going bad?

Occassionally, the steering wheel acts like it is catching on something when driving and a slight correction in path of travel is needed. With a little force, the steering wheel moves but will cause a jerk feeling in the stability of the car. Power steering fluid is topped off, pump is not whining or making noise and the car does not do this unless it is cold outside nor does it do this at idle sitting still. Any suggestions? Tire air pressue is good. New tires too.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-09-2010, 08:24 PM
greenmachine96's Avatar
2nd Gear member
1996 Chevrolet Camaro
My Garage
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 489
iTrader: (0)
Default

In my z28 when miy rack and pinion went bad it was very hard to steer at an idle, like when backing up in reverse. Felt like there was no power steering until you gave it a little gas.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-10-2010, 01:11 AM
Camaro 69's Avatar
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner
No cars in Camaro 69's garage, add now
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: The 'Burbs of Chicago
Posts: 16,738
iTrader: (0)
Default

Worn steering racks can develop a condition referred to as "morning sickness". Internal seal leakage causes the steering to be stiff or irratic when cold, but levels out to a more "normal" state after the system heats up and the seals expand. If that's what you're experiencing, your rack is shot and should be replaced.
__________________


393 Stroker, Tunnel Ram, Dual Holley's
"I only live for today, but I'm one day behind"

Eats Rice and Poops Out Fords.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-10-2010, 09:19 PM
4th Gear Member
No cars in osduck5's garage, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tn
Posts: 1,646
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro 69 View Post
Worn steering racks can develop a condition referred to as "morning sickness". Internal seal leakage causes the steering to be stiff or irratic when cold, but levels out to a more "normal" state after the system heats up and the seals expand. If that's what you're experiencing, your rack is shot and should be replaced.
Well, I guess that could describe it. Kinda like trying to steer and your knee catches the bottom of the steering wheel momentarially and may only do it once in a couple days. I was thinking maybe the power steering pump could be acting up or something like a ball joint or tie rod end binding. Just didn't know if there was a common symptom of the rack needing replaced.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-11-2010, 12:08 AM
evilkal's Avatar
4th Gear Member
No cars in evilkal's garage, add now
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,634
iTrader: (1)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by osduck5 View Post
Well, I guess that could describe it. Kinda like trying to steer and your knee catches the bottom of the steering wheel momentarially and may only do it once in a couple days. I was thinking maybe the power steering pump could be acting up or something like a ball joint or tie rod end binding. Just didn't know if there was a common symptom of the rack needing replaced.

Sounds like the pump could be going bad. Have you checked the fluid?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
1996 Chevrolet Camaro
My Garage
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Eastern PA,
Posts: 6,935
iTrader: (1)
Default

The Morning sickness Camaro 69 described is about the only thing on the rack that can be fixed or atleast we use to fix it. There is a rebuild build kit that requires the removal of the Pinion and new seals installed. I have done dozens of GM racks I still have the GM required tools in my box.

Based on your discription I think the lower pinion bearing is coming apart. Its running more like a Cam then a bearing and giving you tight spots. It could be a Power steering pump but I would think you would hear something also the tight spot would be random. You could jack the car up and turn the wheels with the car off and no weight and see if it feels even stop to stop. If it has a tight spot it is a mechanical failer in the rack. Replace it. LS1 rack time
__________________
67 RS/SS Rag Top 4 speed / 96 3800 5 speed/ 93 LT1 6 speed

93 Camaro Build Thread
96 Camaro Build Thread

Last edited by Gorn; 12-11-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-11-2010, 10:58 PM
4th Gear Member
No cars in osduck5's garage, add now
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Knoxville, Tn
Posts: 1,646
iTrader: (0)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorn View Post
The Morning sickness Camaro 69 described is about the only thing on the rack that can be fixed or atleast we use to fix it. There is a rebuild build kit that requires the removal of the Pinion and new seals installed. I have done dozens of GM racks I still have the GM required tools in my box.

Based on your discription I think the lower pinion bearing is coming apart. Its running more like a Cam then a bearing and giving you tight spots. It could be a Power steering pump but I would think you would hear something also the tight spot would be random. You could jack the car up and turn the wheels with the car off and no weight and see if it feels even stop to stop. If it has a tight spot it is a mechanical failer in the rack. Replace it. LS1 rack time
Ok. I jacked it up and checked turned the steering wheel from max left to max right but I had the engine running. It turned perfectly. I will do it again with the engine off and see what happens. Does the LS1 bolt right up?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club
1996 Chevrolet Camaro
My Garage
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Eastern PA,
Posts: 6,935
iTrader: (1)
Default

Yes it is a direct bolt in. You can also grab the universal joints the LS1 uses to upgrade your "Rag joint".
__________________
67 RS/SS Rag Top 4 speed / 96 3800 5 speed/ 93 LT1 6 speed

93 Camaro Build Thread
96 Camaro Build Thread
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:43 PM
Activity Stream
Activity Stream: Show All | New Threads | New Posts | New Pictures | Popular Threads | Lonely Threads | Vendor Threads | New Picture Comments | New Profile Comments |
Search:  
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1969, 96, bad, camaro, chevy, morning, pinion, power, pump, rack, sickness, steering, symptoms, turn, whine

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Our Sponsors


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Emails Backup