93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Oil in coolant

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 04:29 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

yep and dont just change the coolant, flush it good. you need to change your antifreeze every few years and if you dont it will start eating your gaskets it comes into contact with, like your intake and head gaskets.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by craby
yep and dont just change the coolant, flush it good. you need to change your antifreeze every few years and if you dont it will start eating your gaskets it comes into contact with, like your intake and head gaskets.
but do you think that the oil that I see in coolant come from my gaskets?
do you think that i have a bad heads gaskets that the coolant have eat?
so, if I have a bad head gasket if i flush and i change the coolant I don't solve it.
What do you think?

Last edited by Volcente; 07-13-2016 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:15 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by Volcente
Gorn if the oil is not pressurized in the head gasket in what way it arrive up in the heads?
Pressurized oil travels through lifters to the push rods, it then rains down on the valves. The oil returns to the oil pan through the head gasket but that is just gravity. Since the coolant system is pressurized there is no way the unpressurized oil could force its way into a pressurized coolant system without coolant getting into the oil.

This is not just GM, this is the way push rod motors work. Over head cam motors need oil pressure for the Cam bearings, with oil pressure reaching 60 psi thru the head gasket it is possible for a small leak to allow oil into the coolant and not get coolant into the oil. Even in over head cam cars it is very uncommon for this to happen. In most cases once you turn the car off there is no oil pressure and the coolant will continue to build pressure for about 15 minutes. At this point coolant will pour into the oil through the damaged gasket.

The acid created by not changing your coolant will eat away your water pump seal and the intake gasket before your head gasket. When the head gasket fails it will be between the compression ring and a coolant passage. This will send coolant into the cylinder and compressed gases into your coolant system.

Last edited by Gorn; 07-14-2016 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:30 AM
4th Gear Member

its not oil your over thinking this ,its gunk that looks like oil,i had my lt1 head gasket go an at the bottom of the radiator an res tank was gunk that looks just like oil ,I would just change it ,but drain the whole system ,an replace with dex cool walmart $12.50 a gallon was what was in it from gm ? what kinda miles on the car ,with my lt1 I was stiring up the pot bye flushing it ,an should have got a new radiator but mine looked worse an was green an black,yours is probley fine ,an you got to it in time likely ,check the res tank after you change it ,if you still got gunk then you may think about other options but a few black spots is nothing flowing through the system as long as its not this thick chunks of gunk comeing out,so if you do it check it ,if a shop does ask to look at it ,

Last edited by 95 camaro 406; 07-14-2016 at 11:46 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 01:44 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

no i do not think you have a blown head gasket. the antifreeze over time will gunk up like your seeing. i truely think its the coolant and not oil. if you dont change coolant your gaskets will not be happy and let you know, usually overheating with coolant in the oil.
Originally Posted by Volcente
but do you think that the oil that I see in coolant come from my gaskets?
do you think that i have a bad heads gaskets that the coolant have eat?
so, if I have a bad head gasket if i flush and i change the coolant I don't solve it.
What do you think?

Old 07-14-2016, 03:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

no i do not think you have a blown head gasket. the antifreeze over time will gunk up like your seeing. i truely think its the coolant and not oil. if you dont change coolant your gaskets will not be happy and let you know, usually overheating with coolant in the oil.
okay.
In september I return from holydays and i change the coolant and wash the cooling system.
Until september the Camaro Will stay in Garage.

do you prefer a product to wash the cooling system end the radiator?

I've see the Bahardal and the Valvoline, change the dex cool, put it inside and water, run 20 minutes and than rechange everyting and put inside 50/50 dexcool/water.

if I dont resolve I can do it again, or in the extreme way I can change the radiator.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:32 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if you still have access to the car do it now or at least get that old crab outa there and let it set without coolant in the engine.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:05 AM
4th Gear Member

yes replace with what it had 50/50 dex cool orange ,should be ok ,if you use 100% dex cool make sure your water is distilled water not tap water

Old 08-19-2016, 04:40 PM

Ok. So I recently got this '99 Camaro 3.8 V6 Is this Dex Cool coolant that's Bad and needs flushing OR oil in coolant. Curious.

Car runs great and temp sits about 200 in So. California.

Name:  DSC_0008_zps8putmbko.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  878.8 KB

Name:  DSC_0006_zpsj3qjz9hr.jpg
Views: 979
Size:  865.7 KB

Old 08-19-2016, 07:13 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Did you read the entire thread on how it can't be oil?

Quick Reply: Oil in coolant