93-02 V6 Tech V6 Camaro General Topics.

Air Conditioner Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 12:19 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Air Conditioner Problems

I had to replace my radiator about a week ago. While changing it i guess I bent the A/C pipe. Now my air wont work!!! The leak is coming from around the pipe of the hose that connects to the ac condenser unit. It is leaking out all of refrigerant/Freon whatever you want to call it. Is there anything i can put around it to stop the leak???

Old 07-26-2010, 12:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Speaking on this subject does anyone have a diagram for this whole system? Im having similar problem.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Overdrive Member

you will need to replace the hose. There is no way to repair the connection and not wrap or tape will hold.

The system works like this. Compresor makes the freon into a high pressure liquid. This liquid goes to the oriface tube and as it passes through the oriface it becomes a gas. This gas goes into the reciever/dryer then to the evaporator (this is the part in the heater box) the gas farther expands in the evaporator making cold air for you. This gas then goes into the condenser and becomes a low pressure liquid that is then run through the compressor to become a high pressure liquid. Rinse and repeat.

Massey

Old 07-26-2010, 12:48 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Sounds like his system already went through the rinse and drain cycle.

Old 07-26-2010, 06:10 PM
In the Staging Lanes

How do i go about replacing the refrigerant line? Do i just unbolt it and put the new one in?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:34 AM
Overdrive Member

depends on where the line goes to you may have to replace more than one. Just remove it and head to your local favorite autopart store and see about a new one. I would also replace the oraface tube and reciever/dryer since your system has been open for a while.

Massey

Old 07-27-2010, 11:24 AM
2nd Gear member

Bending an a/c pipe won't cause it to leak. You must have *really* traumatized that line. It's aluminum and will take a few cycles of mild bending but severe bending or ramming a sharp object against it will cause leaks. Do you know for sure if the leak is at the line; could it be the condenser inlet pipe?
On a 93/94/95 (with the 3.4 V6) that line is part of the compressor manifold assembly. It's the aluminum block that bolts to the back of the compressor along with the large tube and hose that come forward and then go up and back to the expansion valve plus the small pipe and hose that go forward and connect to the condenser inlet.
You picked a bad part to damage ($$$) unless you can have it repaired by someone who does TIG welding.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:59 AM
Overdrive Member

The biggest problem with welding this hose is contamination from the oils inside the lines and also the oil outside the line. in order to get a good seal those would have to be cleaned inside and out and that in and of itself will be near imposable. The line is not that expensive, most auto part stores carry or can get the lines. Yes the line from the manifold is the most expensive one, I sold one the other day for a Caddy and it only cost about $65.

Massey

Old 07-27-2010, 12:05 PM
In the Staging Lanes

i'M about to post a pic of the part im talking about

Old 07-27-2010, 12:22 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Name:  2010-07-27120724.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  56.3 KBOk it's leaking around the edge of this pipe. do i need to replace it or what?

Quick Reply: Air Conditioner Problems