5th/reverse grind and clutch pedal getting sticky

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2017, 12:53 AM
1st Gear Member
Default 5th/reverse grind and clutch pedal getting sticky

Hey guys my 2000 Chevy Camaro(V6, 142xxxmiles) Camaro grinds real hard when i put it in 5th gear but it will run, I'm scared to even drive it in the freeway because I fear that it might breakdown, reverse does the same

Also my clutch pedal starts to get sticky when ever I press it down to shift.

Does anyone know what I need to replace and how much it will cost me?
Thanks!

Old 03-13-2017, 06:15 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i would look at the master and slave cylinders first, depending on how they look and there working order you may just need to change them. clutch may need replacement. depends on if you have a shop do it or you do it. also what needs replaced. so long as the flywheel is ok then it would be a good idea to replace clutch plate, preassure plate and the throw out bearing. at a shop cost would probly be in the 1 thousand range to do it all. doing yourself will cost parts. have a look at rock auto to get parts cost idea.

Last edited by craby; 03-13-2017 at 06:24 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:51 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input, ill keep it in mind. Right now I can't afford to pay $1000 but I might be abe to afford the parts for about $400 and see if I can do it myself, I have no experience at all tho lol

Old 03-19-2017, 12:15 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by craby
i would look at the master and slave cylinders first, depending on how they look and there working order you may just need to change them. clutch may need replacement. depends on if you have a shop do it or you do it. also what needs replaced. so long as the flywheel is ok then it would be a good idea to replace clutch plate, preassure plate and the throw out bearing. at a shop cost would probly be in the 1 thousand range to do it all. doing yourself will cost parts. have a look at rock auto to get parts cost idea.
Would replacing the clutch help with the 5th gear grinding?

Old 03-19-2017, 07:15 AM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

if the clutch is the problem, yes. not being there i dont know for sure but it does sound like the clutch is the problem.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:41 AM
1st Gear Member

Thanks

Old 03-20-2017, 10:57 AM
1st Gear Member

So I went to the mechanic to get a diagnosis of the grinding problem for $100 He said it might be the transmission or the clutch that is causing the 5th gear transmission noise. I'll update when I go pick up my car

Old 03-20-2017, 05:40 PM
1st Gear Member

So the mechanic said I might need to replace my transmission soon but its gonna cost me 1600$ and at that price its gonna cost me an arm and a leg, but he did bleed out the clutch and the clutch seems to be running a bit smoother.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:22 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I am thinking your mechanic is not the best or this is not his field. Reverse does not have synchronizers because you should never shift into reverse while the car is moving. All other gears have synchronizers. This means the sleeve that engages the gear will be push passed a synchronizer which will cause the gears to a line. On a brand new transmission you can shift without pushing the clutch. You just don’t want to because you will wear the sync.

As the clutch fails people rarely bring it in because it grinds in reverse, they tend to just start the car in reverse. They tend to bring it in what other gears start grinding. So the work order will normally say grinds in second and reverse, or grinds in Reverse and 3rd. A failing clutch is a test of how good the synchronizers are working. Since most used transmission has had second gear pounded it is normally for the second gear to grind but in pure theory 5 gear has to deal with the fastest output shaft RPM so if everything was good 5th gear will grind first. Even if the syncs are completely shot you can double clutch (with a working clutch) to shift into 5th. Old cars and trucks did not have synchronizers, They all had to be double clutched.

Once you have you clutch replaces most likely your 5th gear is fine unless you have been driving it grinder for a while. With a working clutch your worn sync might just feel like a click when you put it in gear.

Replacing synchronizers in a manual transmission is not a big deal, OEM grade syncs are not expensive and labor should not be too costly. I think the last t5 I did was 3-4 hours to do all the syncs and bushing and I was not rushing but that was in 1989.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:26 AM
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gorn
I am thinking your mechanic is not the best or this is not his field. Reverse does not have synchronizers because you should never shift into reverse while the car is moving. All other gears have synchronizers. This means the sleeve that engages the gear will be push passed a synchronizer which will cause the gears to a line. On a brand new transmission you can shift without pushing the clutch. You just don’t want to because you will wear the sync.

As the clutch fails people rarely bring it in because it grinds in reverse, they tend to just start the car in reverse. They tend to bring it in what other gears start grinding. So the work order will normally say grinds in second and reverse, or grinds in Reverse and 3rd. A failing clutch is a test of how good the synchronizers are working. Since most used transmission has had second gear pounded it is normally for the second gear to grind but in pure theory 5 gear has to deal with the fastest output shaft RPM so if everything was good 5th gear will grind first. Even if the syncs are completely shot you can double clutch (with a working clutch) to shift into 5th. Old cars and trucks did not have synchronizers, They all had to be double clutched.

Once you have you clutch replaces most likely your 5th gear is fine unless you have been driving it grinder for a while. With a working clutch your worn sync might just feel like a click when you put it in gear.

Replacing synchronizers in a manual transmission is not a big deal, OEM grade syncs are not expensive and labor should not be too costly. I think the last t5 I did was 3-4 hours to do all the syncs and bushing and I was not rushing but that was in 1989.
Ahhhhh your making me regret going to the mechanic in the first place I have not taken my camaro out in the freeway yet to check 5th gear grind but I will do so on Monday and get back to you. I'm taking in consideration about the clutch replacement but it is not in my budget

Quick Reply: 5th/reverse grind and clutch pedal getting sticky