Seat belt detector

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:25 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default Seat belt detector

It occurred to me today that I've never seen the seat belt light on the console go on, and I've never heard any chime when the car starts up and I'm not wearing my seat belt. I'm not really complaining, since it doesn't bother me at all that my car isn't treating me like a child... However, I know that it's supposed to light up and chime when the car is turned on and the driver isn't wearing a seat belt, so I thought I'd ask if anyone knows why the car seems to think that the seat belt is always in, even when it isn't?

Old 02-28-2010, 11:28 PM
1st Gear Member

Maybe there is something inside the seatbelt receptacle causing it to read falsely. Just a guess

Old 03-01-2010, 03:21 AM
3rd Gear Member

what year is it on, my 99 dont have no seatbelt warning??

Old 03-01-2010, 07:04 AM
1st Gear Member

I think the seatbelt warning chime is one of the things that's programmable in later models. Check your owners manual for how to program your extra features.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:14 AM
3rd Gear Member

as far as im aware there is no wires/sensors on the seat belt fastener or anything, unless its on the reel itself?? im not bothered anyway, its just another annoying chime, like the one when the key is in. Its like i know the key is in FFS, I put it there!!

Old 03-01-2010, 09:08 AM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by maudyZ28
what year is it on, my 99 dont have no seatbelt warning??
Mine is a 94. I can see that there is a seat belt light on the dash, I've just never seen it light up. And the owner's manual says it should.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:47 AM
1st Gear Member

Are you the first owner? Some people get so frustrated with those things that they just splice the wires together, so it always reads connected...

It might be a bad guage or light, though. I wouldn't expect that, since it doesn't chime, but it could be. Worst case scenario is that the BCM is going out on ya, but if that's the only symptom I don't think that's the problem.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:52 PM
In the Staging Lanes

No, I'm not the first owner... I bought it from a guy a couple weeks ago. My guess is that a previous owner disabled it. All the other alarms and chimes work as they should. I'm not going to stress over it; I just thought I'd ask if anyone had an idea of how to make it work as it should.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:21 PM
3rd Gear Member

As far as I'm aware, it doesn't chime, but it should illuminate for a few miles then turn off.

Old 03-01-2010, 03:42 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by GMDCAMARO
As far as I'm aware, it doesn't chime, but it should illuminate for a few miles then turn off.
If that's true, then it's probably a burned out indicator on the dash panel. In that case, I'm even less concerned.

Quick Reply: Seat belt detector