Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum

Camaro Forums - Chevy Camaro Enthusiast Forum (https://camaroforums.com/forum/)
-   93-02 General (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/)
-   -   Seat belt detector (https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02-general-41/seat-belt-detector-49421/)

wiskow 02-28-2010 11:25 PM

Seat belt detector

It occurred to me today that I've never seen the seat belt light on the console go on, and I've never heard any chime when the car starts up and I'm not wearing my seat belt. I'm not really complaining, since it doesn't bother me at all that my car isn't treating me like a child... However, I know that it's supposed to light up and chime when the car is turned on and the driver isn't wearing a seat belt, so I thought I'd ask if anyone knows why the car seems to think that the seat belt is always in, even when it isn't?

adam86107 02-28-2010 11:28 PM

Maybe there is something inside the seatbelt receptacle causing it to read falsely. Just a guess

maudyZ28 03-01-2010 03:21 AM

what year is it on, my 99 dont have no seatbelt warning??

nnewquist 03-01-2010 07:04 AM

I think the seatbelt warning chime is one of the things that's programmable in later models. Check your owners manual for how to program your extra features.

maudyZ28 03-01-2010 07:14 AM

as far as im aware there is no wires/sensors on the seat belt fastener or anything, unless its on the reel itself?? im not bothered anyway, its just another annoying chime, like the one when the key is in. Its like i know the key is in FFS, I put it there!! :)

wiskow 03-01-2010 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by maudyZ28 (Post 405776)
what year is it on, my 99 dont have no seatbelt warning??

Mine is a 94. I can see that there is a seat belt light on the dash, I've just never seen it light up. And the owner's manual says it should.

nnewquist 03-01-2010 09:47 AM

Are you the first owner? Some people get so frustrated with those things that they just splice the wires together, so it always reads connected...

It might be a bad guage or light, though. I wouldn't expect that, since it doesn't chime, but it could be. Worst case scenario is that the BCM is going out on ya, but if that's the only symptom I don't think that's the problem.

wiskow 03-01-2010 02:52 PM

No, I'm not the first owner... I bought it from a guy a couple weeks ago. My guess is that a previous owner disabled it. All the other alarms and chimes work as they should. I'm not going to stress over it; I just thought I'd ask if anyone had an idea of how to make it work as it should.

GMDCAMARO 03-01-2010 03:21 PM

As far as I'm aware, it doesn't chime, but it should illuminate for a few miles then turn off.

wiskow 03-01-2010 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by GMDCAMARO (Post 405884)
As far as I'm aware, it doesn't chime, but it should illuminate for a few miles then turn off.

If that's true, then it's probably a burned out indicator on the dash panel. In that case, I'm even less concerned. ;)