Convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 03:11 PM
Default Convertible top

Hello, My convertible top, opens and closes slowly, I know where the reservoir tank is. Does it matter if the top is up or down while checking the fluid level? when adding the fluid, Dextrose III fliud, do I add it with the top up or down? or it doesn't matter? Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-23-2017, 11:10 PM
2nd Gear member

The only information I could find on this was in the 2002 manual and I had to scan it. Oddly enough, the prior years service and owners manuals don't mention how add fluid or even checking the level. I've read several threads posted on other sites where owners suggested using a turkey baster to add the fluid.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
convertible top add fluid.pdf (854.3 KB, 204 views)

Last edited by peterpar; 01-23-2017 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by peterpar
The only information I could find on this was in the 2002 manual and I had to scan it. Oddly enough, the prior years service and owners manuals don't mention how add fluid or even checking the level. I've read several threads posted on other sites where owners suggested using a turkey baster to add the fluid.
OH Thankyou! this answers all of my concerns, first Ive seen it in writing, top down to check, top down to fill and more importantly, not to fill it right up to the top as Ive seen in other claims.

Old 01-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

You may want to suck as much of the old stuff out as you can, fill it up run it a few times and repeat that again. It has been my experience on topd that old fluid will slow things down.

If that does not do it then a new pump/motor unit may be needed.

Old 01-24-2017, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by my first camaro
OH Thankyou! this answers all of my concerns, first Ive seen it in writing, top down to check, top down to fill and more importantly, not to fill it right up to the top as Ive seen in other claims.
okay! followed everything on the sheet, everything went perfect, even the guys at Autozone weren't aware of the top needing to be down to check the fluid and also to fill it. oil level was about 1 in. below the fill line, safe to say it was the original clear fluid and a light oil film around the top of the reservoir tank and the dump valve. I ran the top up/down a few times, then topped it off. top now works very fast. Thank for the help !!

Old 01-29-2017, 06:26 PM

This is very interesting! I'll have to check mine once I get it out of storage in April. Thanks!

Dave

Old 02-04-2017, 06:46 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

This may be asking a little much. But would you be willing to post of pics of this for the rest of us? I've never even thought about doing this on my 95 and I know it's still got the original fluid.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by greenarrow
This may be asking a little much. But would you be willing to post of pics of this for the rest of us? I've never even thought about doing this on my 95 and I know it's still got the original fluid.
GreenArrow,

Read PeterPar's reply, he pasted a .pdf file you can download and printout. It has step-by-step instructions. Although mine seemed to go up/down just fine, I may replace the oil because it's probably as old as the car, 20yrs.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:52 AM
September 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

I looked at the PDF and its just generalized drawings. Still better than nothing but. I have never messed with anything in that area other than peeking in the access hole a couple times. If possible I was wanting to get some actual photos so I know what I'm getting into and can do it faster.

Old 02-05-2017, 09:29 AM

Well, if I had my car here I would take pictures for you, unfortunately it's in storage. So when I actually do it in April sometime I will take pictures.

Quick Reply: Convertible top