'01 Camaro V6 to V8 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 08:31 PM
In the Staging Lanes
Default '01 Camaro V6 to V8 swap.

I thought I would share my V8 swap with you Camaro folks, This is my first F-body, I have always been a truck guy, But was looking for a change of pace.

I started out looking for LS1 F-bodies to buy, The affordable ones were JUNK, The nice ones were outrageously priced.

Found several 3.8L Camaros really cheap with broke engines, Did a lot of research.....Most say it is not worth it even if you have a donor car. If you don't have a donor car.....Your an idiot for even trying! Being hard headed & a Mechanic.....I thought, How hard could this really be? Picked up a clean '01 V6 Camaro 3.8L/4L60E with T-top's, Monsoon sound, 3:42's & open diff for $1200.

As of today I have all the parts that I "think" I need.

Donor engine is '04 LM7 5.3L with a LQ9 cam & L92 valve springs & hardened pushrods.

Donor transmission is a 300mm 4L60E that I built, Sonnax Shift kit, Vette Servo, Sonnax superhold 4th piston, 5-pinion input planet, High speed reaction planet, Sonnax smart shell, Alto HEG frictions, Kolene steels in the 3-4 & Forward packs, TransGo pump rings, & stock converter for now.

Spohn LS K-member
GM F-body motor mounts
GM trans mount
F-body trans dipstick & tube
F-body Oil Pan
5th gen L99 front accessories
LS2 intake & adaptor for the 3-bolt throttle body
Aeromotive Rails & adjustable fuel pressure regulator (running stock truck Multec II injectors)
LS1 heater hose assembly
'98 T/A driveshaft
'98 T/A trans cooler lines
'98 T/A engine stands & bolts
'98 T/A "Auto V8" trans cross member
Borla 3" muffler off same '98 T/A
2-series Posi Carrier from '98 T/A
Yukon "Thick" 3:42 gears to fit 2-series carrier
Moser Street Axles
Trick Flow diff cover
AC-Delco radiator for a '01 LS1/auto car
BBK headers & Y-pipe
SLP air lid
Flowmaster 3" universal pipe kit, Got it cheap.
Custom BP Automotive engine harness (plug & play) for my V6 car
Custom tune to my Truck PCM by BP Automotive (To work the gauges)
AC-Delco Oil pressure sender for an '01 V8 car

Can anyone think of any thing I am missing????
I am aware the power steering lines, Radiator hoses & A/C hoses will need to be fitted/custom because of the L99 accessories.

Here is the car & truck 5.3L before any work was done.

Attached Thumbnails '01 Camaro V6 to V8 swap.-camaro-012.jpg   '01 Camaro V6 to V8 swap.-camaro3-003.jpg  
Old 05-14-2015, 07:07 PM
Fourth Generation Moderator
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by clinebarger

Custom BP Automotive engine harness (plug & play) for my V6 car
Custom tune to my Truck PCM by BP Automotive (To work the gauges)
Got any more information on these items? The biggest issue in any of the swaps I have seen ends up being the PCM/BCM/ABS/Anti theft playing nice with each other.

Old 05-14-2015, 07:09 PM
In the Staging Lanes

The engine is ready to be installed, Still waiting for the harness, Plan to start the engine swap June 1st. If anyone can think of anything, Let me know.

Some more pics.

Attached Thumbnails '01 Camaro V6 to V8 swap.-camaro20-021.jpg   '01 Camaro V6 to V8 swap.-camaro5-015.jpg   '01 Camaro V6 to V8 swap.-camaro8-026.jpg  
Old 05-14-2015, 08:23 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Originally Posted by Gorn
Got any more information on these items? The biggest issue in any of the swaps I have seen ends up being the PCM/BCM/ABS/Anti theft playing nice with each other.

The ABS is stand alone, At least on my '01 without traction control. A car with traction control might be an issue with the "Ignition Retard Signal"

The BCM send out a "Fuel Enable" to the PCM as part of the Anti Theft, My '04 P59 PCM already has the VATS disabled, Now the Pass Lock will still function....The Key resistor, BCM start enable, Starter relay are separate from the PCM/Engine harness. The only downfall is if a lowlife thief bypasses the starter relay the engine will start without VATS in the PCM, I have a plan for this that I won't get into on an open forum.

Are you planning a V8 swap on your '96? If so I can do some research & give more info on your particular swap.

Bill @ BP Automotive builds some of the nicest harnesses I have ever seen & he knows F-bodies very well, I was concerned about the gauge cluster not working with my '04 P59, But Bill said he could take care of it.

Old 05-15-2015, 05:50 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

No the 96 is approaching a 1/4 million miles. She about done for. This sight could use a nice detailed swap thread. It sure sounds like you have done your home work. You list seems pretty complete. Your transmission is setup for a torque arm?

As I side note my next project will most likely be a 5.3 into a old school step side unless I can find a 6.0 at a reasonable price.

Old 05-15-2015, 08:04 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Yes, I have a Tail-housing off a '02 LS1 Camaro on the 300mm truck 4L60E that has the holes for the Torque Arm mount, I forgot to add that to the parts list, Also reminds me...I need to order a new torque arm mount from the dealer, Thanks!

To be clear.....
The Tail-housing & Torque Arm mount on any '98-'02 (V6) 245mm 4L60E will fit any (LS/V8) 300mm 4L60E, I could use both that are on the car now.

I just don't want this project to tie up my lift & engine table any longer than it has to, So I need everything as complete as possible.

Old 05-20-2015, 11:43 AM
4th Gear Member

depends on the swap ,an the knowledge one has with help ,this one I have not heard of ,,I have heared of guys putting v8s in base cars ,but never seen one that did not have alot of issues ,looing back on mine if I could have done thing different like afford an ls engine may have been better choise , you would have been better off with z28 ,my mech said the same thing he would not do it again cost labor time ,but it was done in 5 weeks

Old 05-20-2015, 03:45 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by clinebarger
The ABS is stand alone, At least on my '01 without traction control.
I am curious, if the ABS is not tied to the PCM how do you get the ABS codes?

Last edited by Gorn; 05-20-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 05-20-2015, 03:51 PM
October 2009 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 95 camaro 406
depends on the swap ,an the knowledge one has with help ,this one I have not heard of ,,I have heared of guys putting v8s in base cars ,but never seen one that did not have alot of issues ,looing back on mine if I could have done thing different like afford an ls engine may have been better choise , you would have been better off with z28 ,my mech said the same thing he would not do it again cost labor time ,but it was done in 5 weeks
This is not like your situation. You where given bad information. The above list is a very detailed list of what is needed to convert an 01 v6 to an LS1, The LM7 is the cast iron 327 copy of the LS1 350. Everything should bolt in. These 5.3's and 6.0 swaps are becoming very common because the truck motors are easy to find compared to LS1's. Many of the truck motors are stronger then the LS1. It is pretty common to hit 500HP with a used truck motor and a turbo.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:08 PM
April 2011 ROTM
ROTM Winner's Club

i think through the abs module. I'm pretty sure all 4th gen abs is stand alone although the 02 has a lot of different stuff.

Originally Posted by Gorn
I am curious, if the ABS is not tied to the PCM how do you get the ABS codes?

Quick Reply: '01 Camaro V6 to V8 swap.