The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2014, 07:22 PM
3rd Gear Member

Valve lash set - check.
New regulator - check but thoroughly disappointed to learn what I learned today about Holley regulators, see attached pics. Maybe that's common knowledge, but I sure didn't know. I'm sure it most certainly explains why the threads for the mounting screws on the bottom were completely jacked when I tried to put the screws in, and they wouldn't even thread in! Sure wish I would've gotten that Trick Flow regulator that I had chosen first.

New regulator installed - check.
Check for spark on all 8 - no go. My friend stiffed me this afternoon, no big surprise.
Got a really late start today anyway, I'll have my son hit the key for me tomorrow so I can check spark and hope for some divine intervention when I try to start the Camaro!

So, first I'd like to acknowledge that a Holley f.p. regulator is not a terribly expensive item. However, the name Holley, to me is synonymous with "Made in the U.S.A." and I'd like to point out that NOWHERE on their company webpage does it say anything about parts being made overseas. All they do is brag about their facilities and how they can manufacture, produce and custom make just about any part to make your car go faster. I literally could not get the mounting screws to thread into the holes in the bottom of this thing, had to get a tap out and redo them. Not very confidence instilling when I think about the leaks I already have dealt with. Lots of thread sealer was used on the fittings. End of rant.

Attached Thumbnails The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140827_19_39_24_pro.jpg   The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build-wp_20140827_19_39_56_pro.jpg  
Old 08-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Second Generation Moderator
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Guess I can't see what you're referring to in the pictures? All I see is the Holley name, and In/Out markings? Am I missing a made in China, or some other mark? I've got Holley regulators on all three of my vehicles, and never had a leak. But then I use Teflon tape on all my fuel fittings. I hear people say how they've had Teflon tape get into their fuel lines, but that just tells me they're careless when wrapping it. I don't wrap my fittings so the tape gets over the end of the threads, so it never contacts gas.

edit-Does that say Korea on the one outlet?

Old 08-28-2014, 10:42 AM
3rd Gear Member

Indeed it does sir. Made in Korea. Not what I was expecting to see stamped on the bottom of it. Also didn't expect to have issues with it as soon as I started putting the mounting bracket on it. Suppose that's why I'm so disappointed to know that even a name such as Holley would be doing this, and then tooting their own horn on their website about their "corporate philosophy." That's an outright lie in my book.

I was told not to use tape on the threads but rather the thread sealant that comes in the tube. A lot of good that stuff's been doing for me so far. I know I'm not a fan of having to clean the "liquid" type back off the threads when I have to redo the fittings, maybe I will switch to the tape next time. Here's hoping there's not a "next time" for a long time!

Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 AM
Overdrive Member

It could very well be that Holley has the Koreans cast the regulator housing and they assemble it here to save their "made in the usa" credibility. I used to cast Honda windshield wiper arms that said made in Mexico inside. Last time I looked West Michigan was not in Mexico.

Old 08-28-2014, 12:06 PM
3rd Gear Member

That very well may be true, but aside from the casting of a regulator, there isn't really much else to one aside from a spring, couple screws and a piece of rubber. When it comes to something like this I'd think the casting is the crucial part of the assembly. If that's what they're doing and claiming "made in the u.s.a." then I have even less respect for them. It's got to make you wonder what other parts they sell are cast elsewhere? All under the guise of "under our strict tolerances." B.S. B.S. B.S.

I didn't really intend to come across like this is some major deal. This certainly isn't even close to the only part on this Camaro that's made overseas. My only point about the regulator made in Korea is that I never would've guessed that a name like Holley has jumped on the "make it elsewhere and basically hide the fact it was" wagon. I got upset because I instantly had to start fixing messed up threads for screws that aren't even 1/2" long. I replaced the regulator because I couldn't get the leaks to stop. It's a bit concerning to think threads were messed up out of the box. Don't really want this conversation to take a different route than it's already started to do.

Last edited by 78 on my plate; 08-28-2014 at 01:03 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Overdrive Member

Originally Posted by 78 on my plate
That very well may be true, but aside from the casting of a regulator, there isn't really much else to one aside from a spring, couple screws and a piece of rubber. When it comes to something like this I'd think the casting is the crucial part of the assembly. If that's what they're doing and claiming "made in the u.s.a." then I have even less respect for them. It's got to make you wonder what other parts they sell are cast elsewhere? All under the guise of "under our strict tolerances." B.S. B.S. B.S.

I didn't really intend to come across like this is some major deal. This certainly isn't even close to the only part on this Camaro that's made overseas. My only point about the regulator made in Korea is that I never would've guessed that a name like Holley has jumped on the "make it elsewhere and basically hide the fact it was" wagon. I got upset because I instantly had to start fixing messed up threads for screws that aren't even 1/2" long. I replaced the regulator because I couldn't get the leaks to stop. It's a bit concerning to think threads were messed up out of the box. Don't really want this conversation to take a different route than it's already started to do.
I want to say all the Holley regs I have had like that came with the holes cast and not tapped. The act of threading the bolt in tapped them. Cant remember, hell I could even be confusing it with parts I have cast over the years. lol

Old 08-28-2014, 04:53 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

Originally Posted by 77nomad
I want to say all the Holley regs I have had like that came with the holes cast and not tapped. The act of threading the bolt in tapped them. Cant remember, hell I could even be confusing it with parts I have cast over the years. lol
I don't remember either Damon, but I thought the last one I bought had the mounting bracket bolted to the regulator, and I had to remove it to mount it first.

As for Teflon tape; I've heard "don't use it" for years! And for more years than I've heard it, I've kept using it, as it's never failed me. I don't like the liquid pipe dope, so it's Teflon for me. I also like that I can gradually build up the tape in a thin layer near the end of the threads, and multiple layers as I wrap away from the end. Makes them seal up much easier, and better for me.
Hope you get that gal running soon!

Old 08-28-2014, 04:58 PM
3rd Gear Member

The holes were threaded already on this Damon. Not gonna worry about it anymore, it's mounted and as of the first couple revolutions of the engine to build up pressure, it's not leaking. So far so good. Still worried as all hell about the lack of oil in the cylinders turning it over. Wish I could say I got it running, but the battery was pretty low again so I threw the charger back on it for a little bit. Want a good charge on it before I really try and start it. It did fire real quick but I only pumped the carb twice to get the fuel back up to it. I went exactly TDC on the balancer and advanced the distributor a very little bit initially. Going to get some dinner with the kids and I'm going to give it hell when we get back. Fuel pressure was holding steady at about 5.5psi, here's hoping that parts all taken care of. I only managed to check spark on 3 wires as my son was thoroughly weirded out having to turn the key for me and stop when I told him to. Wasn't going to put him through that, I could see the nervousness on his face. LOL! Even though I told him it wouldn't, he was still thinking it was going to fire right up and be so loud in the garage like it was when it ran the first time.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:29 PM
Feb 2010 ROTM winner
Jan 2013 ROTM winner
ROTM Winner's Club

You need to make or buy a remote start switch! My wife loves mine! She hated having to crank the engine while I tweaked and tested!

Old 08-28-2014, 06:43 PM
3rd Gear Member

I'll get one eventually. I'd rather not mess around with more wiring at the present time. I know they're not difficult to install but with the luck I've had with the simplest of tasks, I'd rather not press my luck. My son would've done it for me but I could really tell he wasn't comfortable at all doing it for me. Spark was fine on 2,4 and 6, with 6 being the one I was worried about with the crazy bend in it to clear the header. I'm going out in a few here to turn the key, let's hope the other 5 are firing good as well and the fuel is only going where it's supposed to go!

Quick Reply: The "Slow but Steady" '78 Project Build