Turn signal flasher

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 03:35 PM
1st Gear Member
Default Turn signal flasher

Can one of you guys who has an unmolested 69 Camaro go take a look for me? Where is the turn signal flasher?

My turn signals come on, but don't flash. Both sides are the same. The 4-way flasher works fine. I replaced the taillights with LED bulbs.

When I got under there to replace the flasher with a new electronic flasher, the only one I found was the 4-way (I discovered that by replacing it with the new one I'd bought to fix the turn signals) which is in the corner of the fuse box.

When I manually activate the turn signals, they come on and off, but there is no "click-click" of the flasher working.

Where do I look?

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2010, 05:14 PM
2nd Gear member

Here is a picture of mine. I replaced it all with American Autowire front to back.

Attached Thumbnails Turn signal flasher-flasher.jpg  
Old 10-12-2010, 06:24 PM
June 2011 ROTM
2011 RIDE OF THE YEAR
ROTM Winner's Club

Actually, I found mine is over behind the glove box. It took a while to figure it out as all my wiring is out right now, but it's actually located in the wiring harness. I can't say exactly where it is when installed because my harness is out. But it's not on the fuse panel as I expected too.

Derrick

Old 10-12-2010, 09:32 PM
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys! It was behind the radio, in the harness, underneath the center of the defroster duct. I had been laying upside down for three nights now looking for it on the wrong side of the car.

I now have turn signals, so it's off to the Hooters car show (yeah, I know, you only go for the hot wings).

Old 10-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Senior Moderator
January 2010 ROTM Winner

Originally Posted by hkunz
I now have turn signals, so it's off to the Hooters car show (yeah, I know, you only go for the hot wings).
Heh..heh. Yeah Hooters wings are pretty darn good, and the breasts and thighs ain't too shabby either.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:54 AM
1st Gear Member

No, seriously. My wife is less than enthusiastic, however. I just know that I paid $200 for six months of insurance, so i want to drive the car as much as I can, and the Hooters car shows stop in a few weeks.

http://www.bakersfieldccc.com/

Old 10-15-2010, 05:00 AM
1st Gear Member

So we went to Hooters for the car show, and the turn signals that worked in the garage the night before didn't work when we left the garage.

Does anyone else have a problem with the turn signal flasher dying quickly? I think I'm going to order the LED specific one from Classic Industries.... and the LED tail light kit....

Old 10-15-2010, 06:51 AM
1st Gear Member

Just jumping in to the middle of this.
The traditional flasher circuits depend on the resistive load of the light bulbs that they are driving. If you change the resistance (i.e. a light bulb burning out) you change the flash rate and pattern. It is designed by nature to do that to indicate a burned out bulb.

So...putting in a LED style light, will completely change the behavior of the flasher as LEDs act as a very different load than light bulbs. It may even damage the traditional flashers because LEDs have almost 0 resistance when lit.

I would not expect the original style flasher to work in your set up.

Vic

Old 10-15-2010, 12:07 PM
1st Gear Member

Yes, they don't. I damaged the last flasher by welding on the frame with the battery connected. It also burned out the LED side marker bulbs and the MSD ignition box. At least, that's what I thought. I found and replaced the flasher with an "electronic flasher", and tested it Tuesday night, after working late. The replacement flasher worked Tuesday night after I swapped it in. I also had to work late Wednesday, so didn't go back and double check that it still worked. Thursday night I took the car to the Hooters car show, and right away I didn't have turn signals, again. I don't want to keep throwing flashers at it if there are other issues. This is just strange, but then again, much of the wiring is 41 years old and has been hacked on. (My fabrication skills have improved greatly over the last 36 years of ownership)

Old 10-15-2010, 01:15 PM
In the Staging Lanes

Vic is right about the LED lights. They will present very little resistance when conducting (on). What is the brand of LED lighting are you using? There may be, or need to be, what may be called a 'load resistor' in the circuit to prevent too much current from passing.
Joseph

Quick Reply: Turn signal flasher